LGBT freedom of expression at work?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Moonwalker, May 1, 2005.

1. Moonwalker

Moonwalker fagulous

Can my superiors at work legally tell me that i cannot wear my pride ring? Its just a regular silver ring i wear on my index finger that has a rainbow on it.

2. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

It depends on your company's dress code, partly on your boss, and a little on the size of the company.

From my standpoint, I would have no issue if an associate of mine was wearing what you are refering to. :naughty: They *might* be able to snag you on a dress code violation, but I doubt it because its a ring. Depends on what you are doing and if something like a ring is a safety hazard. In my company they could try grasping for straws and saying that its lack of respect for the individual (your coworkers) but thats a long shot.

But then I have worn pride stuff to work before and the only person who noticed was the resident lesbian. She thought I had done it for halloween. :eek3:

3. Team503

Team503 Guest

Unfortunately, it is likely the can. You need to check your company policy on discrimination based on sexual orientation; because it is not a federally protected status, there is no LAW prohibiting it. And enforcing taste-based judgements on jewelry is nothing new.

The only law regulating this to my knowledge is that the company must follow its own written policy.

4. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...like already stated, it all depends on your company and location because sexual orientation isn't federally prevented. However, unless there is a written regulation on all jewelry (or even localized to rings), you cannot be isolated or targeted--it must be a specific rule universally enforced (which I doubt, because that would mean no wedding rings, and you know how the str8ts luv rubbing those things in our faces).

Look around and note who else wears rings without being penalized, and start building your case.

5. Moonwalker

Moonwalker fagulous

thanks guys

6. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I'd fight that one a little more, actually.

The policy would have to specifically address jewelry.

Yes, the ring make a gay-themed statement, much like a wedding band makes a statement about heterosexual marriage and a cross pendent makes a statement about religion.

The company may be allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation, so they may be able to say that gays can't wear jewelry at all. But, they can't say that you can't wear that specific ring unless there is specific language in the employee manual about what is and what is not acceptable jewelry.

It's a fine line, and it's likely I wasn't clear in my explanation.

Were you asked to remove it? What did they say exactly?

If you are confused, get your employee manual. It'll tell you all you need to know.

7. MLH

MLH New Member

That sucks, we recently got a new dresscode at my place of employment..it sucks!!! Not only do they tell me what kind and how much jewelry I can wear, we got uniforms!!! EEEK!! Elastic wasteband pleated dress pants!!!! WTF! I would take off any amount of jewelry to not have to wear those.....
    But yeah check out your dresscode, we just have limits on how much jewelry we can wear, i.e. one ring per hand, so i really dont think they can say take it off because it is a pride ring....