Free Virus Scan - For Linux??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coottie, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I haven't had a Linux box up for a few years now so I just d/l and installed Fedora 5. Everything's working but I need a virus scan program for it and I don't want to pay (I will pay if that's all that's available).

Anyone have any suggestions for a free, secure and regularly updated virus scan solution for Fedora 5?? Have you personally used this solution??

Thanks for any help.

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

ClamAV, and no I haven't used it since there's not much need on GNU/Linux.. Basically all the viruses out there only infect Windows machines, and since I don't run Windows, my files are safe.

It's useful, though, if you're sharing alot of files with Windows computers or are dual-booting with it. But the viruses generally won't infect the GNU/Linux system anyhow so..

(there's a windows version out there too, somewhere..)

3. Coottie

Thanks for the suggestion.

The thing that troubles me is that we hear about all of the viruses affecting the Win machines but don't hear about the Linux ones. Does that mean that there aren't any viruses/trojans/keyloggers out there for Linux??

Like I said, I haven't been keeping up with Linux progression so it may have been addressed in the literature. However, just because we haven't heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. (ouch, tripple negative there).

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

They don't come out that often (viruses) and when they do, they do get media attention (only because it's OMG GNU/Linux, not like there's ever been any serious viruses for it). You don't really have to worry about them. Keep your software up to date, especially if you're running any public daemons (apache, SSH etc) and you should be fine.

5. Coottie

Any suggestions on how, where to look to make sure my software is up to date??

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I believe FC5 has an updater called 'pup', I dunno if it runs automatically or not though.

7. Coottie

Cool thanks....I'll check into that. Thanks for the help.