free internet monitoring for a small business, suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 7960, Mar 23, 2007.

1. 7960

7960 New Member

A friend has a business and has 4 PCs in an office. He believes one person is spending WAY too much time on the internet but he'd like to know exactly how big the problem is before confronting her.

My view... all 4 PCs should route through the program that'll produce some reports about sites visited. It would sort of suck if he had to go to each individual PC to check the report. Also, if it's done by IP address that's fine...there's no domain controller or AD or anything. He's trained them to lock their PCs so he can pretty much tie a specific PC to an individual person.

Can anyone recommend free monitoring software? I can think of a bunch of ways to do this but he doesn't want to spend money seeing as when he confronts this the problem should end (one way or another ;)) soon thereafter.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Depends on what he's using. I've setup a lot of clients with Windows Small Business Server and it acts as their gateway router... Very nice setup. But short of that, what are they using for their connection? If it's a small setup, perhaps they're using a SOHO router such as a Linksys WRT54G? Products like that often support remedial logging facilities which should be sufficient to track gross unauthorized usage and visitation to sites unrelated to business.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

It's definitely small-time... he's got 30 employees but his office is him and 4 other people. He's out of the office a lot and one of those 4 may be fucking off. He's not sure if it's true or if the other 3 are just bitching so he'd like to know before he confronts her.

He's got cable (comcast) split off by a 4 port linksys. I haven't played with linksys (other than to set up wireless) in a while and I've never set up logging on one. I'll look at exactly what he's got for hardware and see what logging would give.

I'm surprised sourceforge doesn't have something like this (that I could find, anyway). I was expecting to find software i could load on his PC and have the others use his as the gateway so the software can track who/what/where/how long. It'd slow his PC down a bit but he's rarely there and this is going to be temporary so he doesn't care.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there are proxy solutions that would do what you require. However, if he's using a linksys, I know you can log with most of their products. If it's a WRT54G or BEFSR41 (the two most common models) then he should have logging already -- just need to turn it on.

5. Create

Create :free at last:

VNC is a thin client that would let him spy on the person individually.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

He's not in the office enough for this. He wants something that logs pages visited and time spent there (if possible).

But, if he wanted to spy on all the workers in his office this would be cool :eek3:

http://italc.sourceforge.net/

linked pic picture
    http://italc.sourceforge.net/screenshots/italc_0980_01.jpg

...........too bad it doesn't seem to log anything.