Free Car Audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Jun 27, 2006.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Okay...so not for you but for me!

This is pretty much for you Audio guys that feel like reading something. I am a poor student who cannot afford a decent car, much less extra $$ to put a sound system in. Anyways, here's what I have and surprisingly it sounds decent minus the sub box I built.

Panasonic deck, older model wont even play mp3's 45Wx4

Front 6.5 2 way "Concept" brand speakers (they have some silver cone, no clue on the specs) I got them for free from a friend who took them out of his car after he wrecked it (he got them for free from some old guy trying to promote his equipment)

Rear 6.5 2 way Jensen speakers. Straight from Target these are only one of two things I purchased for my system and the goal was to replace the stock blown speakers.

Subwoofers: 1 10" Kenwood tornado (blue cone) and 1 10" Lightning Audio (black cone) my other Kenwood sub had a mishap with a screwdriver so I got the LA from WalMart on closeout for like $15. The kenwood subs were free from my brother who used to have them in his car and since lost all interest in bass in his new car.

Amplifier: 150w Rockford Amp, Its an older model prolly like 6 years ago, has black and silver stripes. The gain on the back has a bobbypin stuck in it to adjust because the former knob broke.

One Sub box with 1/2" MDF (you may say I bought this but it was just laying around the parents garage). This works somewhat okay and surprisngly the subs are overextended in it (pretty sure it's too small, and built badly)

Anyways I thought I would share my system with you car audio buffs (give you a good laugh). But honestly it sounds pretty decent as long as it's not music which pounds the subs where you can hear them bottom out. Also of course I can hear the speakers strain when the receiver gets turned up too much. So if I keep the system at a "normal-->higher" listening level it sounds like clean treble midrange and bass.

also this setup is in a chevy tracker 2001 2 dr. You can see a pic of the car in the trucks and suv's section on page like 17 or sumthin.

Cliffs: Cheap car, cheaper system, sounds okay, and was fun to put together. Keep in mind I do understand sound quality and have pretty in tune ears, the system still sounds decent despite that.

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you like. all that matters

3. sparq

sparq New Member

Hip hip... horay?

4. scirio

scirio Active Member

I love stuff like that, my last car was like that. I have very good ears I think and love to hear the most minute details in music and movies but shit that stuff you got probably sounds better than stock. Did you know they sell this deck at target for $100 that plays absolutely everything. Fuckin mp3 cd's, sd card, has an aux input on the face, it might be a dvd player too i forget but chaepo and cool and looks dead on like an alpine :)

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

lol sounds like something to check out since my deck is almost dead. I like to keep my sound system less expensive than my car so I went the cheap as possible way to do it. It does sound way better than stock, and until I get a nice car to put some nice speakers into I will just hold on to these.