Free battery from Apple?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Feb 4, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

My PowerBook is over three years old and my battery is beyond dead. The power was unplugged for a couple minutes and my recharge time is 10 hours. If it's unplugged the battery lasts no longer than five minutes.

Obviously I need a new battery but it sucks that they're $120. If I do have to buy a new battery I'm buying on of those extra capacity ones. But I'm curious..

I have the notorious lower memory slot failure but I've neglected to get it fixed. Apple charges a flat rate for out of warranty repairs-- around $300 and they replace any hardware that is bad. So I'm wondering-- if I get the repair done by them, will they give me a new battery too or does that not count?

Or is there any other way I might be able to sneak a used or new battery from them by scheduling an appointment with a genius?

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Never know, depends on who you work with. Its worth a try.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You can try it but chances are you're not getting a new battery. Repairs don't cover wear items like the battery. The Genius' do some of the repair work in-house and ship the rest out. They may replace your machine with a refurb but they also swap over everything like RAM and batteries.

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

Wear items? Technically everything is a wear item. The hard drive and keyboard are the main wear items and those are replaced under the flat rate repair. :dunno:

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Wear items are items that are known to go bad over time. Your car's tires are wear a wear item. Your car's seat is not even though it will in theory wear out over time.

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

Point is the hard drive and keyboard are the biggest wear items on a laptop and I know those are replaceable through the flat rate repair.

7. RLich8

RLich8 New Member

I used to work at the Apple store, and I know that batteries aren't included in the flat-rate charge. Not sure about LCD screens either. (but that's not really a concern it seems.)

The only time I ever saw a free battery given out was when a Mac Genius (incorrectly) informed a customer that batteries were included as part of the flat rate service charge. In that case, they had to make an exception because the Genius explicitly stated that batteries were included. The store manager had to allow it.

You might want to call up Apple Care and see what their official definition of wear and tear items are. Something may seem like a wear and tear item to us, but might not be under their standards. I do believe that keyboards and hard drives, like you're saying, are included.

Exceptions are made sometimes though, so remember that.

Hope that helps a bit!