Free AVG + Windows defender + XP firewall = enough protection?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I prefer free zonealarm firewall so that I can monitor the outbound traffic.

XP firewall doesn't doesn't do that.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, that's enough. You have an antivirus app, an antispyware app, and a firewall app. Monitoring outbound traffic on the firewall is only necessary if you know you have an infection, which will almost certainly never happen with the protection you have.

When I do need to lock down the internet on a machine that I know is infected, I use Sygate Personal Firewall. It's free and it doesn't punish you for uninstalling it like ZoneAlarm does.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I guess it depends on how you use programs and such.
    Once I get a program running well with my machine, I don't want it doing anything on it's own.
    Zonealarm lets me know when the program is trying to access the internet, and just by checking a box, I can permanently deny it access.
    I don't let programs auto start and run in the background either.
    It's my pc and dammit, I say when shit is going to run or not.

:mad:

5. deusexaethera

Oh, I'm all about automation. My Norton Speed Disk is set to run at a specified time each week, my antivirus updates itself and is always running a realtime scan of every file that gets written to the hard drive, Windows looks for updates automatically (though I do reserve the discretion to pick which ones it downloads), Thunderbird and AIM Lite start up automatically, and so on. Granted, I'm very careful about which programs I allow to run automatically, but I still let them do it if I have a good reason.

I prefer to avoid programs that access the internet without asking me, unless it's really obvious that they're going to be doing it (e.g. messaging programs, antivirus updates, etc).

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Your best protection is to be behind a router (actually I guess your best protection would be to not turn on the computer :mamoru: )

7. deusexaethera

Not true. Someone else could turn the computer on for you. The best way to keep it safe is to leave it in the box and encase it in concrete.