Free Antivirus

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by als54, Sep 2, 2009.

1. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Who uses a free antivirus and why do you use the one you do? I use Avast, AVG, and Avira on my PC's at home.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I don't. I know a lot of people swear to them but I find a lot of infected PC's on my desk with these freebies installed. :o

3. ssj4gogita4

ssj4gogita4 Active Member

malwarebytes anti-malware (malwarebytes.org)

best thing ever.

4. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Ok, so what are you using? I used McAfee retail/corporate, Trend retail/corporate, and Norton. The corporate version worked well and I'm not too crazy about the retail versions.

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I have endpoint on my home computer and kaspersky on my office computer.

6. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Thanks, I'm using McAfee corp on my servers at work and it's done a fairly good job. I was using AVG, read that Avira was better and it seemed that it was backed up in some research I did.

7. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Most of my commercial clients I have use Endpoint. Can manage it all from the server. I have one that does use Mcafee 8.0i or something like that. Pain in the ass to fix when it decides to not update properly

8. als54

als54 OT Supporter

McAfee 8.5i it can be manage from a server specifically for it, we used it for Exchg before you got bought out...

9. seismic

seismic New Member

I use XP Antivirus 2009. It installed itself and took care of my problems for only $40. Seems to work pretty good because it finds hundreds of viruses every week! I have to keep paying for it, though... :hsugh:

10. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Avast!

11. LinuxRacr

LinuxRacr New Member

+1 on Avast.

12. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I used to use AVG but when they changed things up I wasn't happy with it. I currently use Avast.

I did try to install Kaspersky when I had Windows XP but it wouldn't allow the installation unless I got rid of ZoneAlarm's free firewall... so I never tried Kaspersky.

As for why use free over paid, it started out because I'd rather reinstall everything than pay an annual free (aka, being cheap). But now its just because I've had no virus issues using free stuff while my family has when using McAfee and Norton, and I visit alot more shady websites than they do.

13. seismic

seismic New Member

The problem with that is, a bad antivirus program isn't going to tell you that you have viruses -- it's bad because it doesn't know they exist. You could be infected and not know it.

I used Avast in a support environment--a couple years ago--and stopped because it was extremely ineffective in comparison to the other products we were using--namely SpySweeper and Norton.

14. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

This. I can scan systems with the current AV software that is on the computers that are brought into my office and they do not detect anything. Every AV software can do something the other can't. Some are strictly for virus, and then there are those that can do it all.

Kaspersky and Trend are two products for example that require you to remove other programs off like norton and zone alarm. The reason for this is these products already have firewalls included and real time scanning. Having more then one installed on the computer is a bad idea and can slow down a system. Software firewalls are kinda a thing of the past really in my opinion.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I like Avast because it runs a boot-time scan of the entire hard drive after you install it. It's caught things I couldn't catch with anything else -- even an infected USERINIT.EXE file, which I had to manually replace from the Windows install CD, but that was still a hell of a lot better than reformatting.

Software firewalls are a thing of the past to a certain extent; now that virtually everyone has a hardware firewall in their modem/router/firewall box in the basement, the attack surface has been greatly reduced, but consumer-grade hardware firewalls still leave a lot of ports open to incoming traffic so Joe User doesn't have to figure out how to let his XBox connect to the internet and things like that. Even in a corporate environment where the hardware firewall is configured by a supergeek in a back office, it's still useful sometimes to have a software firewall because it can notify the user directly about any suspicious traffic. I used Sygate Personal Firewall to great effect when I had to clean off a bunch of fucked-up-yet-irreplaceable workstations we inherited from a company we bought a few years ago. Trapped all kinds of shit and recorded it in a log file so I could do research and fix all the problems.

16. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Yes, I've had good results from Avast, it has detected virus' when retail products couldn't. That being said I would also agree with DigiCrime in that not one antivirus catches it all and that you don't want to run more than one on your PC. I know at work we have several different tools we us for spyware, virus', Trojans, etc. One thing I have found out about Avast is that it has a small footprint which is good. I do like what I am seeing about Avira, but I don't like the nag screen it launches on boot.

17. deusexaethera

If I'm working on an infected machine, I use everything I can get my hands on, including McAfee Stinger which can fit on a floppy disk and run in Safe Mode. For preventative maintenance I use Avast by itself.

I don't mind paying for good software once I've had a chance to test it to see if it's actually good. $50 for Avast beats the hell out of $130 for Norton Anti-Productivity Suite or whatever the hell they have nowadays.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  18. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Stinger works good, but if you can download McAfee Cmdline with the latest SDAT and run it in safe mode it's more thorough. I don't care much for Norton because of the overhead associated with it and the annoying notifications. (I know they can be turned off) I agree run everything at hand, including HIJACKTHIS, SPYBOT, and anything else you have available.

19. thefuckon

thefuckon New Member

I have Norton Internet Security 2009 and it came on my custom built computer for free for 15 months and I like it a lot. It uses absolutely no memory unlike the older Norton products. But would I pay $70 for it yearly? Hell no!

Get AVG Free and SpyBot and use the built-in Windows Firewall....I hear people saying that the firewall sucks, but dunno about that.

20. als54

als54 OT Supporter

I had heard that 360 was better than previous versions. Thanks

21. 7960

7960 New Member

comcast gives away mcafee for free so that's what I use at home.

22. deusexaethera

All a firewall does is look at the IP address that a packet is coming from and the port number it's going to, and passes it through or erases it according to the rules programmed into it. There really isn't any room for it to suck if it works at all. The only thing about the Windows Firewall is it doesn't filter outgoing traffic, only incoming, but since there shouldn't be anything on your computer that you didn't put there, or if there is then you should be dealing with it, it's not really worth the CPU power to filter outgoing traffic anyway.

23. deusexaethera

I've used that Comcast McAfee package. It's marginally better than the Freedom Security they used to use, but it's still an insufferable piece of shit compared to Avast! or Symantec Corporate.

24. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

becuase most of the free ones dont have auto update and auto scan.

i tell people that dont want to pay to get SAS or malwarebytes, but when they bring me their computer, i check the version/update and tehy are 6 months back...

even the ones you pay for are not great, but at least you can configrue them to auto update and auto scan.

25. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

but at the end of the day...regardless if they pay for AV or not...they will still get infected becuase they randomly click on shit.