SRS Freakin' lonely and bored...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fox800, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Fox800

Fox800 Fear Boner OT Supporter

Just wanted to vent.

I'm 22, moved to Austin about 8 months ago. I work full-time as a paramedic. I'm a rookie at my job so I get the shaft with shifts, so I wok weekend nights. I miss out on a lot of the cool shit in Austin (nightlife, concerts, parties) because I'm at work during all of that. In this town you meet singles through school (went to another college, graduated), work (can't do that obviously), or through bars (greeeat). So I work 3 days a week and have 4 days off in a row...and I just sit at home. Or work out. Run errands here and there. Try to tag along with my sister who's a junior at UT. Don't know anyone here except work friends who are almost all married/have kids/live-in significant others. I have one friend that I hang out with now and then and we just go out and drink.

Work.
    Home.
    Off-topic.
    Work out.
    Sleep.
    Repeat.

FML.

2. SuckerPhree

SuckerPhree New Member

Sorry, bro : (

I live in Houston, you can drive down and hang out with me anytime, lol

Anyway, it's okay to be alone for a while.
    You seem to be a normal guy, and I strongly believe situations just naturally change over time.
    Eventually you will meet new friends, find old friends, or even meet a girl.
    Just take this time for self improvement or try changing your routine.

Maybe later down the road you can ask your management to trade days of work. That way you can do something else on the weekend nights.

Nothing lasts forever, not the good stuff, not the bad stuff.

3. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Pretty sure that's going to be my life for a while when I move for my new job.

4. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

There have been periods of my life I have felt the same way... what you're feeling isn't unusual at all.

In fact, now in hindsight (now that I'm married and with a newborn) there were some aspects of single "boring" life I kinda miss...sitting at home all day working on that video game level, playing music as loud as I want, letting the house "go" if I just felt too lazy that day, deciding to hop out the door at any time for a quick jog around the park...etc. These are distant memories now. Don't rush it man.

If you can, what I'd recommend is to save up and just do a big trip somewhere out of your normal comfort zone. If you can't do that, just grab a couple of friends and plan for some kind of adventure that exceeds your own neighborhood. Just knowing you have something planned weeks/months ahead lifts the spirit a bit when you have something to wait for.

As for finding someone....I never thought this would be true until I experienced it myself -- you'll find someone when you least expect it. Just put yourself out there where it can happen (anywhere out your front door) and just stop worrying about it.

5. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Hobbies and Clubs are a great way to meet people. I'm part of two RPG/Miniature gaming clubs (I know its nerdy), but I meet people with similar interest and I have started to hangout with some of the members I have gotten close with.

Overall, see if you can get your hours changed... you cannot be a rookie forever...

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

It comes with the job , being a paramedic you have to be available for everyone at any given time, afteral a medical emergency can take place when you least expect it , this constant need for readyness requires people to work at vampire hours in hospitals,which makes it so dreadfull for going out in weekends n such especially if those bastards schedule you out to work at those times while they go out and party, it therefore may be wise that before you take a job like that it would be good to take those things into your awareness in advance,so either you change jobs or your working schedule. I mean think about it, when you are 34 and not so outgoing anymore it makes maby more sense to work in the weekends, but while you are 22 and not going out, your just wasting away your life.

Basically you have your life in your own hands, its up to you to make an effort to change it , not only work wise but also in terms of making arrangements in that you live your life in the way you want it.

The only thing that helps against boredom is to have a get up n go attitude and do something worthwhile, or making those arrangments and efforts so that you wont fall into this gaping hole of despair.