Frankenstein sub? phoenix rubber on rockford sub

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, May 5, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

EDIT: PICS POST 7

Heres what I have, 1 sealed 10" box, and 2 blown 10" subs. And 1 200w rockford amp (the old school charcoal like ones)

1 sub is a PG Octane R and the other is a P1 rockford.
    The phoenix has a blown coil it sounds like, and the rockford only has a ripped rubber surround (if you want to call that cheap shit rubber) and the real rubber on the PG is still in mint condition.

What I'm planning on doing (since im missing some mid bass in my system) [sub amp xover at 65hz< and MBQ amp is either 50 or 120 (120 so it doesnt bottom out too much) so right there im missing 65-120 most of the time] is frankensteining the rockford sub to use the rubber thats on the phoenix. I'll just carefully cut it with a sharp knife and reglue it down.

But hell, all this equipment I got for free, so if I can make it work to add those other 55hz that would be super and make it sound a little better.

Problem being Im not sure how good its going to sound with 1000w to my alpine sub 12" and only 100 (amp is [email protected]) to this 10"

I'm gonna give it a shot because I got nothing better to do, anything specific I should look out for? Ive got some rubber cement and stuff that ill use to try it out and see if it was worth the hour of time I spend on it. Too bad I cant get this amp to xover at 65>120 instead of everything up to 120... But oh well, its worth a shot, ill keep you posted. And maybe snap some razr-phone pics.

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  2. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

ps im not a newb to car audio, im just bored.

3. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Actually. You really have no idea what you are doing.

Serious. 100%.

nG

4. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

You are quite wrong. Its all back together and it sounds pretty good. Being 200w and being a 10" punch its not as loud as my alpine is. So what I did, is I got a crossover splitting at 60hz, 60 below going to alpine and 61 up going to this one. It sounds awesome, totally picks up the frequencies I was missing. I run it up about 120 ish (hard to tell) and my fronts pick up from 120 up.

It doesnt like a lot of excursion though, this rubber is slightly smaller so it seems to bottom out sooner than it should (unless Im just used to higher quality... like the alpine) EDIT: But the crossover fixed the over excursion problem (I was running it just rca signal and going up to 120, didnt sound as good until the first 60hz got cut off

But you are quite wrong saying I have no idea what im doing. Im quite impressed with the way it turned out. Im sure a new sub not ripped would sound better, but I picked up bass guitar much better.

Seriously. 100%, ill get pics later. I got pictures leading up to the point where I cut the old surround out and got it in place. Then phone died, so I finished it up, and Ive got finished pictures. Ill do it when I get home (tomorow morn)

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

rock on. sounds like you had fun on this one

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah but like I said im sure a new one would sound better than this. But I think I did a decent job. Doesnt look the greatest (silicon) but ill get it all taken care of later. Pics in morning sometime probly

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Ok, well I guess I dont have all of them for some reason, so heres a couple for now. I fucking hate motorla phone tools....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    fucking phone tools lost communication...ok
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHa...

lawl.

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

lawl is right, looks even funnier with the silicon on it but it does its job. Its not meant to be loud, just to pick up some bass guitar until my 6.5" mpyres get here