MMA Frank Shamrock on Ken vs. Kimbo

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://www.themmanews.com/?p=1506

Frank Shamrock’s Take On Ken Vs. Kimbo

It’s common knowledge that Frank Shamrock doesn’t always get along with brother Ken, but Frank Shamrock is a man who can give people their credit when due. Recently Frank spoke to Fightline.com and had a few interesting quotes:

“But, I’ve never had a heart to heart conversation with the guy. He was never available and I was never a good communicator. We were too guys that never got past working out together. It’s totally bizarre. I know more about the guys I train with today than I’ve ever known about Ken. I think when we were younger Ken was a very closed off dude and I wasn’t a good communicator. Now, that’s changed for me and Ken’s changed as well but we never grew together.”

“Ken has 10 times Kimbo’s ability, so if he can get just 10 percent of that, and he’s focused, he can beat him,” Frank Shamrock told Kevin Iole. “If not, he’s going to get clubbed horribly upside the head and fall down, all scary looking.”

There’s a divide beween MMA fans as to whether Ken stands a chance or not. Most seem to think that Kimbo will win the same way he beat Tank Abbott, while others cling to the fact that Ken will win this fight if it hits the ground as Kimbo’s last fight did. This could be Ken Shamrock’s last hurrah, as he’s lost 5 in a row and another loss would remove any remaining mystique about the “World’s Most Dangerous Man.”

i hate that Frank is an asshat. he's the type of person and fighter i'd be a fan of otherwise

2. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Although I am not excited about this fight, and think it is actually bad for the sport, Ken is gonna GNP Kimbo for a win.

3. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

or is it the other way around?

4. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

how's it bad for the sport?

it'll be good for the promotion because it should draw in viewers that otherwise wouldn't care about MMA. you can't compare it to an established promotion like the UFC

5. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

I agree that it pulls in viewers, but so did the last elite shows. I don't know, just seems to me like they should promote differently. I know that Kimbo is their honey-horse, but I just don't think he represents mma very well. Add to that the fact that Ken has been fairly irrelevant for a while and I just think it hurts more than it helps.

I'm not saying elite should be like ufc, I just think that getting a main event with fighters that can bang for the whole fight and not just the first round would be better.

6. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

I think Ken would be too smart on the ground for Kimbo to impose his will on him.

7. darkjedi

are we talking about the same Ken? I haven't seen any type of ground game from ken in about 8 years. Kimbo is too athletic for Ken and his sub-par "ground game".

8. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Honestly I want to agree with you. I think Kimbo winning forces elite to get him a real fight. But, I just don't see it happening.

9. Bragasaurus

Bragasaurus New Member

how anyone who saw Ken's last fight could possibly think he has a chance is beyond me. He got knocked out by a jab from a man with one third the ferocity of kimbo slice's hands.

Kimbo by knockout in the opening exchanges

10. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Yeah but if he can avoid getting hit during the 37 seconds of fury Kimbo has in him before he gases then a lot of the power should be gone by then.

11. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

The problems with ken are greater than his abilities. He is getting old, his style is old, his cardio is going, his mass is going, his mind it seems too, he's slowing down, etc.... I mean I'd love for a motivated Ken who can do something different out there then get his ass kicked time and time again. He needs a whole new game plan and it's like trying to rebuild a brand new house out of an old one.

12. .Tim

.Tim New Member

I want old, tired, worn out, needs to retire Ken to beat Kimbo though. Not a fresh new Ken.

13. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Kimbo would lose street creds then. Some big fat guy will walk in and break it up like in that Gannon fight.

14. darkjedi

??? He was throwing BOMBS in the 3rd round when he fought James Thompson then TKO'd him.

15. Bragasaurus

Bragasaurus New Member

yeah, and he was in a coma for the next week because of those bombs

16. darkjedi

huh

17. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i agree with you, too. just playing devil's advocate here

i subscribe to the theory that what's good for business isn't necessarily good for the sport, and what's good for the sport is not always good for business. it's a catch-22

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

war shamrock, I want ken to win so bad. Put an end to the kimbo hype train and then it will set him up for shamrock vs shamrock at lhw

19. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

10x(.10) = x

x = Kimbo beating his face in