MMA Frank Shamrock claims to have offered Bas $1M to fight...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

yet more jackassery from Frank...

[​IMG]

Shamrock Talks Rutten, Gracie, and Razorclaws
    03/12/2007
    By Ben Fowlkes

Frank Shamrock has a way of finding himself at the center of controversy. The outspoken coach of the Razorclaws, Shamrock never has a problem with saying exactly what he thinks, even when it's sure to enrage others.

With his team set to take on Bas Rutten's Anacondas in Los Angeles this Saturday, and with rumors of a fourth bout between he and Rutten looming on the horizon, Shamrock sat down to talk with IFL.tv about his team, his career, and what really happened in his fight with Pitbulls coach Renzo Gracie.

INTERVIEW

IFL.tv: First of all, Frank, it seems like there's been a lot of talk recently between you and Bas Rutten.

(Laughing) There has?

Is it true you want another fight with Bas?

That's true. We have a long history together. I love competing and I especially love competing against people I respect. Bas is one of those guys.

He says it's untrue that he was offered a million dollars to fight you.

Liar! He’s lying. I don’t know if Elite offered him a million dollars, but I offered him a million. I’d pay it out of the proceeds of the show. I asked him point blank. I told him I’d pay him a million dollars and I can. The first day his answer was yes. Then the second day it was, my knee, my back, my shoulder. I think I’ll just leave Bas alone.

Tell me about the changes you made to your team. Obviously you weren't happy with the last performance, so what are you going to do differently against the Anacondas?

This year we wanted to get a little more serious. I hired a couple of full time coaches. I had an open tryout to find some new talent. I’m really pleased with our team right now. Donnie Liles has been very inspirational. He’s very talented, very focused, and very respectful.

Dan Christison, our heavyweight, he got in without trying out purely on his past record and experience and on the basis of my conversations with him. He’s a great guy. He’s a very good ground technician, far superior to any other man of his size that I have seen in the sport. He’s a real 270-pound athlete who can move, a true heavyweight martial artist, and most heavyweights in this sport aren’t.

Your lightweight, Josh Odom, has a tough task ahead of him with Chris Horodecki, who is undefeated. What are you saying to Josh to get him ready for this fight?

Josh Odom has been with me since he was an amateur. He trains hard, and he learns like he’s eating food. He just can’t get enough. Josh is an incredible athlete with great mental fortitude. It’s just a matter of him having confidence in his techniques.

He’s a much better fighter than he realizes, so I’ve been telling him to just move forward and let go. In my experience, Bas Rutten could not fight going backwards. You make him take a step backwards and he would lose. He had no power. I think Horodecki is the same way. If Josh can push him backwards, he can beat him.

Is this a must-win for your team?

They're all must-wins. As a fighter, you can't go in there thinking you're going to lose. As a coach, you'd better not think that way. So yeah, we have to win this just like we have to win them all.

Your fight with Renzo Gracie ended with you being disqualified for illegal knee strikes. What happened in that match?

I have no idea. Everything was going according to plan. I was about thirty seconds away from knocking the guy out. I could tell he was physically exhausted. I was hitting him with strikes to the body. My personal opinion is he stuck his head in the way of my knees so he could get out of there and go home early. That’s my personal opinion.

So do you think he was really injured?

I don’t know. What I do know is that after all my years of fighting, I know when someone doesn’t want to fight anymore, whether they’re hurt or not. Renzo was done.

You know, a lot of people will say that if it was anyone else, they might believe that he was faking an injury, but this was Renzo Gracie. He had his arm broken in the ring because he wouldn't give up. What would you say to that?

It’s different when someone is rolling around and your arm pops out. That hurts, but it's different. When you know that someone is going to punch you in the head and put you to sleep, that’s a deep psychological issue you’ve got to deal with.

Everyone has found a way out of fight. Everyone has seen the light when they don’t think they can fight anymore. That’s part of the game, convincing someone that they’ve lost. Whether it was an illegal blow or not, Renzo was done. He wasn’t going to do any more in that fight, and he certainly wasn't going to do any damage to me.

You say everyone has found a way out of a fight. Have you?

Oh sure. I’ve had to tie my shoe strings. I’ve had to turn my knee pads around. There’s always a way. Sometimes you're scared and you need a breath. I’d venture to say that 70% of knockouts are people just knowing it’s time to leave and accepting that fact.

Would you like a rematch with Renzo Gracie?

Yeah. I felt bad because all and all we both did the best we could but it didn’t work out well. I’d like a rematch and this time I’ll just pound him out in the first round. I won’t mess around with him.

Is it possible we might see that rematch in the IFL?

He can fight me anywhere he wants to, I don’t care. I’d love to fight Renzo. I’ll fight him in a thong. I’d be more worried about Bas Rutten hurting me than I would about Renzo doing anything to me.

Frank, as always, it's been a pleasure. Good luck in L.A.

Thanks. We'll be ready.

2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Haha, he cracks me up.

3. RMarks

RMarks New Member

he's such a gigantic faggot. Talks so much goddamn shit, and then doesn't back it up or has some excuses. I can't wait to see Baroni decapitate that fucker.

4. DooDoobutter

DooDoobutter New Member

his team got wiped by bas's team too :mamoru:

5. JayKimchee

JayKimchee OT Supporter

He may be like that but he is by far one of the best Champions/Legend in MMA history. And he could do again if he wanted to.

6. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

God I hate that motherfucker sometimes :rolleyes:

7. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Uh...........you better be talking about Bas :hsugh:

8. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Frank?

9. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

:rofl: i love the frank dickriders

10. RMarks

RMarks New Member

What dreamworld are you living in or what drugs are you currently on? His record is full of nobodies. His only notable wins are Bas(also has 2 losses to Bas), Tito, & Horn

11. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

renzo was taking him down and passed his guard to side control to mount whenever he pleased, and renzo is nowhere on top

12. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Shamrock was letting it happen. He wanted Renzo and the world to think he was losing, and then KO him with .3 seconds left in the fight to show the world he was toying with him the entire fight.

13. JayKimchee

JayKimchee OT Supporter

I'll admit Frank Shamrock is one of my favorite fighters but you cant deny he was one of the pioneers to modernize MMA to what is it today. He was also a King of Pancrase, and he was the 5 time undefeated UFC MW Champion. He also set many records in MMA and he accomplished all of this in his 20's. I dont know how many of you are "TUF" noobs but Frank Shamrock is by far a great fighter and could be a champion once again.

14. RMarks

RMarks New Member

LOL, what fucking records did he accomplish? Look at all the nobodies he's beat.

15. JayKimchee

JayKimchee OT Supporter

Records for the fastest times winning a championship match in MMA

Incase you didnt know the fighters he faced back then were true contendors and top fighters of their time including some of his Japanese opponents who were champions.

16. RMarks

RMarks New Member

so Frank was the MW Champion in his first fight, since he's only had 5 fights in the UFC.

17. Kuet

Kuet New Member

:rolleyes:

18. JayKimchee

JayKimchee OT Supporter

Yes his first fight with Kevin Jackson was for the title which was vacant

19. Kuet

Kuet New Member

winning a fight in the fastest time is not an accurate gauge to the skill of said fighter. :nono:

20. JayKimchee

JayKimchee OT Supporter

Well its a record for the UFC so yea

And it was for two of his fights ....Kevin Jackson 16 seconds and Igor Zinoviev 22 seconds

21. Kuet

Kuet New Member

im not doubting he was a pioneer in the sport, but his recent antics and bullshit are just totally turning off fans from him- past and present, and if you think he could come back and dominate now, you are tripping out.

22. DooDoobutter

DooDoobutter New Member

He did do lots of stuff for the sport back in the day. No one is denying his accomplishments back then, it's just that they don't carry over now. The sport has evolved tremendously. To say that Frank Shamrock could be champion again is a pretty bold statement seeing as how he really hasn't done anything since 1999 and has only fought a couple times against nobodies.

23. JayKimchee

JayKimchee OT Supporter

Please explain your reasoning? Why dont you think he has the skills to hang with the elite today? Just by judging from his fight with Renzo ?

24. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

AGAIN, nobody is refuting that he was a good fighter

aaaand again, did you not see the fight against Renzo? he showed very little to prove that he's competitive against A-level fighters today

25. JayKimchee

JayKimchee OT Supporter

Frank is still in his prime. He's only like 33-34 and he has highly evolved from the 90's. He standup is more technical and he's always been a grappling/submission master.