MMA Frank Mir Explains Why Miguel Torres Is the Best Pound-for-Pound MMA Fighter

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/01/01/frank-mir-explains-why-miguel-torres-is-the-best-pound-for-pound/

Frank Mir Explains Why Miguel Torres Is the Best Pound-for-Pound MMA Fighter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted Jan 1st 2009 12:01PM by Michael David Smith

When I talked to Frank Mir a couple of weeks ago, we discussed the concept of top pound-for-pound fighters, what the whole "pound for pound" idea really means, and who Mir chooses as his No. 1.

In Mir's opinion, World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight champion Miguel Torres is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, and since I've heard from a couple of readers who think I have Torres too high in my own MMA pound-for-pound Top 10, I figured now would be a good time to pass along what Mir told me.

For starters, although Mir said he believes Fedor Emelianenko is the best heavyweight in the world, Mir doesn't think any heavyweight in MMA has a complete enough set of skills to justify being considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

So if it's not Fedor, why is it Torres?

"I think Torres is the most dominating fighter there is," said Mir, who in addition to being the UFC interim heavyweight champ is the color commentator for the WEC. "His one loss, he was fighting a guy (Ryan Ackerman) a lot bigger than him. And then he rematched him and got him in the first round. He's just a killer, he's got that Fedor-like mentality, but I think he has more tools than Fedor. Fedor is nowhere near as smooth in his transitions as Miguel is. Miguel has great hands, and he can kick, and he has great conditioning."

I told Mir my own pick for the best pound-for-pound fighter is UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. He disagreed.

"Anderson Silva I think is extraordinarily talented, but I don't think his submission game is great. We've seen him get caught in heel hooks," Mir said, referring to this loss to Ryo Chonan:

[y]267i7rKeECA&e[/y]

"I don't think he's world class on the ground," Mir said of Silva. "He's world class in stand-up, but even Travis Lutter passed his guard and mounted him. I've never seen Miguel in that kind of trouble -- ever."

And what about UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn, who will fight each other at UFC 94? Mir likes them both, but again, not as much as he likes Torres.

"Georges St. Pierre has the best takedowns and dominant wrestling ability, and he's a great athlete, but he's shown he can be knocked out," Mir said.

"I think B.J. Penn is the better fighter," he added. "He's the great martial artist. He just has that question mark of whether he can go five rounds. If it was a one-round fight I'd pick B.J. in a heartbeat. No question. But can he go five rounds? If he shows up in shape, he wins."

In fact, Mir says that conditioning is the difference between Torres and Penn.

"B.J. is so talented, it's between Miguel and B.J. who are the best pound for pound," Mir said. "But Miguel has phenomenal cardio. When he was at my gym working out before this last fight, he didn't use a clock. He works non-stop for two hours. He'll take a stop to take a sip of water and blow his nose, and then he'll just switch partners. They have to have another partner ready immediately because he'll wear a partner out. His training is amazing."

And that's what makes the WEC bantamweight champion the best MMA fighter in the world. At least according to the UFC interim heavyweight champion.

2. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

and Mir has stated in an interview (before the Nog fight) that there is no fighter that could beat Fedor at the moment, including Mir himself

3. teep

teep New Member

no doubt torres is a stud, but i just think he seems so much more dominant because there isn't as much talent in that division.

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

He definitely suffers from Faber-Syndrome.

5. Gary Busey

Gary Busey Guest

:werd:

6. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

lack of fame does not make lack of talent.

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

stop posting

8. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

stop being an "internet person"

9. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

hahaha. what?

10. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

ino rite?

11. Helios

Helios New Member

:rofl: what the hell

12. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

Everybody here knows who torres is:rolleyes:

13. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

who?

14. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

Yo mama!

15. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

the point of the comment is that his opponents aren't famous. People online like judge a fighter based on their record and the records of who they've beaten. If they don't know anything about the people torres has beaten how can you expect to measure him?

16. teep

teep New Member

most of us do know who he has fought and in fact seen them fight. :ugh2:

17. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

very true, i see it all the time when one fighter becomes a beast and they become so cocky that they slip and lose it all. i see this happening with him also and these are the type of guys i would love to fight not to take anything away from them they are all great fighters but just to show hey your human.

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

bw is light theres torrez and thats it. Id like to see him fight kid yamato though

19. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

we'd all like to see Kid fight, period

he's been so MIA, he's dropped out of most conversations. the only times he came up in conversations is when bringing up a urijah/kid dream match