A&P Framing question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by fray, Jun 7, 2008.

1. fray

fray New Member

I apologize if this doesn't belong here, but I'm hoping maybe someone can offer some insight.

I am looking to get my diploma nicely framed. I got a quote today of $180 w/ archival matting and a semi-nice basic frame. $90 with just the frame and no matting.

Is this a relatively good price? It sounds high to me, but I don't have any experience with anything nice that has been professionally framed and this is obviously something I'll have for a very long time.

2. bdub

bdub New Member

way too high. if you don't mind assembling a frame yourself go to:

http://www.americanframe.com/

plus they will cut you a free mat w/purchase of a frame. they have the best prices around. they are easy to put together.

i only buy metal frames which i assemble. but i think they ship wood frames already assembled.

3. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

try looking in the bookstore of the college you graduated from. i got a nice frame and a mat with the school's seal and name in gold for $75 or so.

4. fray

fray New Member

I didn't like the ones they had there. Our school colors suck and I don't want any seals/tassels/pictures of the school/etc. I need good materials that will preserve my diploma for many years as it will be hanging in my office.

I'm afraid if I do it myself, I will risk not properly "protecting" it and it will fade or begin to break down...or whatever diplomas do after years of exposure.

5. tetsuo

you know the school will always re-issue one if needed. :o

6. fray

fray New Member

really? hmm...

7. tetsuo

i got my second one a week after my first one :mamoru: they mailed them out, not handed them out at graduation. the day mine was delivered it was pouring rain and the mailman left it sitting next to the mailbox since it wouldn't fit in it. :uh:

8. fray

fray New Member

oh shit. that sucks!

Good to know though.

9. tetsuo

my parents live out in the country and have a 1/2 mile driveway. i got the mail on my way home from work, and when i saw my diploma i started cursing the mailman and was about ready to go postal on him :mamoru: then when i got inside i called the school and they apologized and said they'd drop another one in the mail the next day. :coold:

10. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

That depends on the school. Some will refuse to reissue. Others will only reissue if your house burns down and even then they'll want the remains.

11. bdub

bdub New Member

another thing you can do is buy a pre-made frame slightly larger than your diploma and have a custom mat made by the framer. this will cut down on the custom frame cost. just make sure to have the framer use an acid free backing board. the pre-made frame probably won't have an acid free one.