WEB Framework/package to get started with user signups/login?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Insert Tokens, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Surely there's something out there that's a good starting point to a membership-based site.. or does everyone seriously write their own user registration/signup scripts from scratch every time?

Preferably php/mysql with ajax registration/login..

I'm good with php/mysql but not good enough to trust myself writing the whole registration/signup well enough that it's "secure"..

2. Deviance

Deviance Can't you smell that smell? OT Supporter

I've tried looking and I always end up with something that does way more than I wanted.

Interested in seeing what you find, if anything. (real hard to search for also because php framework bring sup the zend type apllications).

3. Insert Tokens

Yeah exactly..

All I want is the most basic (but still secure/solid) user registrations, and signin.. so I can restrict them to certain pages/functions on the site.

At the moment considering just using Drupal and stripping it bare of all modules etc.. but it just -feels- wrong and illogical to use an entire CMS to do such a simple task.

4. Insert Tokens

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I wrote a script years ago that handled form generation and validation with ease. It's outdated and haven't updated it in a about four years. When I work with the Drupal framework, I use Forms API. Forms API makes creating and validating forms pretty easy. There are built in AHAH functions in the API layer that will allow you to create the AJAX functionality that you want.

If you don't want to use Drupal or can't use it for this project, you can look into Zend Framework, which has a component called Zend_Form which creates and validates forms very similar to how Drupal does it.

6. Deviance

Deviance Can't you smell that smell? OT Supporter

Pretty similar to what I ended up doing for one of my sites. Like you, i figured someone has to have written this before, but damned if I can find anything decent.

Kingtoad,
    My current version of the a page I am working on started with me searching for a decent framework and is currently running on drupal. It's ok, but a lot more than I wanted / needed, and I still had to hack up the profile system.

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You shouldn't need to "hack" anything. Everything is expandable and will allow you to hook into existing components and modify them yourself.

Shouldn't ever have to touch the core.

8. Insert Tokens

Kingtoad, i'm gunna give drupal a go for this project.. got any good tutorials on the Forms API?

I still think Drupal will be mass overkill for such a simple site, but if it gets it working, that's all I really care about at the moment..

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

It could possibly be overkill for the site. I would only use Drupal under specific circumstances.

Drupal API Reference: http://api.drupal.org/
    Forms API Quickstart: http://api.drupal.org/api/file/developer/topics/forms_api.html/6
    Forms API Reference: http://api.drupal.org/api/file/developer/topics/forms_api_reference.html/6

10. Insert Tokens

Thanks, been reading into it a bit today between work, and will check out these links too.. but it all seems like a lot of overkill for my current purpose. Forms API is definitely something I want to learn for other projects though.

Thanks.. hopefully I can make it work for this site..

11. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

whatever you do, dont store the password plaintext

12. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

I think amember is one of the better paid scripts that makes it easy. Not sure if you are looking for free or not though.

13. Insert Tokens

After posting on a few other places about this.. it seems i'm not alone.

You'd think there'd be PLENTY of opensource stuff for this, considering nearly every website these days has at least basic membership for comments etc. Yeah most use WP/Drupal/whatever but heaps don't.

I guess all those sites -do- write it themselves.

14. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

consider using facebook connect

15. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

If you want to do it yourself, NetTuts had a tutorial the other day:

http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/a-better-login-system/

BTW, I see this a lot. People say they want a "framework", but a framework is usually something that does a lot of heavy lifting at the cost of having to code in a very specific way; MVC is a whole way of life. Frameworks are very heavy, but can be very helpful if you start out coding on them.

(I'm a procedural guy, so every time I've looked at a framework, I've run away screaming.)

If you just want some helping code to do some stuff for you, but keep your normal coding practices, the word you're usually looking for is "library."

function Disclaimer() {

echo "These are general statements; there are some more lightweight frameworks, and some you don't have to change your coding paradigm for.";

}