Fox Body torque box fix

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by SupraMan1990, Oct 18, 2006.

1. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

I recently bought an 87 Fox Body car. Minus drive line. Apparently the passenger torque box has been torn out and was rewelded. Now, other than welding it the rest of the way and putting some reinforcements on it, is their anything else I can do to make sure it is better than new?

2. RICKIEFRAT

RICKIEFRAT La Cosa Nostra

Try Wild Rides Race Cars. You gonna want to replace the battle boxes. Look around in your town that does sheet metal work as well. Have them or a speed shop install & weld them in. Also see if they can replace the floor jack spot that in the area of the lower control arm. If I can, I'll take a pic of mine for you. Mine is so bad it swayed the rear end over almost a inch causing me to rub my tire on the fender. (315/35/17 BFG/DR's)

They also have a top plate for the upper control arms. Which in my opinion, is not needed on street cars. A must for track cars. Seen 1 installed on my buddies car. Very HD. :coolugh:

EDIT: The only reason why I say take it to a shop is that the floor of a Stang is VERY thin. Too much heat from a weilder will cause it to warp and shrivil (sp). Not a good thing. If you are going to attemp to do it yourself, just take your time and dont use too much heat.

3. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

My buddy or his father are the ones that will be welding it for me. His father has been welding over 30 years, so I think I will just get him to do it slow and on lower heat. You have a design for some reinforcements? I've got access to several sheets of plate steel and would like to make these if I can rather than pay the 30-40 bucks that companies want for them.

4. RICKIEFRAT

I dont have any designs of them ... but ebay had a guy sellin thinner models of the ones that wild rides sells. They were kinda cheap. You could pick them up and make thicker ones. :confused:

5. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

Yeah, I guess I will go that route. I'm in the process of sourcing a windsor for the car and I KNOW I will need the reinforcements then.

6. RICKIEFRAT

If you want gobs of power and have deep pockets, look for like a 76 lincoln with a 460. It will fit between the fenders of a fox. If not, ford vans always have some nice big blocks in'em.

7. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

Yeah, I've been told to go the 460 route. But, I'm a teenager with a near minimum wage part time job. I will be fine with the Windsor being built and stroked.

8. RICKIEFRAT

I hear ya !!! BTW, any pics of the fox?

9. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

It's a project, to say the least. Gutted engine bay all the way to the firewall. All that was left when I got it was the brake booster and master cylinder.have to put the dash and ALL associated wiring back in it as well. But, the car and a COMPLETE 93 4 banger parts car were only 450 bucks, so I am not complaing. Got alot of parts off the 4 banger that I can sell as well including a set of fully manual doors. Those will bring a penny or two if I find the right person. I plan on taking some pictures for a before and after type thing either today or tomorrow. WHen I get them I will be sure to post.

10. RICKIEFRAT

The 93 4-banger ..... is it a coupe or hatch?

11. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

Hatchback sunroof car. Exact twin of my 87 car. Except my 87 was a GT. Why, wanna buy any parts?

12. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

I miss my Procharged '93.

[​IMG]

13. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

I don't blame you. I know one of you guys HAS to have an input shaft for the T5? I need one, something awful, it and an actual clutch and flywheel are the only transmission related things I don't have. Anybody got one?

14. RICKIEFRAT

LOL, none of your parts will fit my beast. Only reason I ask is that if it was a coupe, it would be lighter. Would deff be the way to build a sick street machine. But then again .... why not build the 93? Unless the body is too far gone. I heard that a 93 will have 8.8 rear no matter what motor size is. You might want to check that out .... spare parts.

My sister has a 92 coupe 4-banger that im trying to get my hands on. Tranny is blown and she has no $$ to fix.

As far as clutch and flywheel .... wont fit yer motor.

15. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

It's a 7.5, it went in the GT car because it had no rear. I want a notch, but i couldnt find one. THe 93 was too far gone. THe passenger floorboar came up to a crinkle and the tranny tunnel was even bet.

16. RICKIEFRAT

:wtc: I really miss my fox.....

I had 85' LX w/ 6-banger w/ AOD. Converted her to a GT. I owned a 84 GT w/ t-tops where the body was shot to shit. So I took all the parts needed to convert the 85 to GT form. Wish i took more pics of all the cars i owned. These are the only ones i have .....

1st day of ownership.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When finnished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1st time @ New England Dragway
    [​IMG]

I would really love to restore a fox again. BUT a 79 Cougar is now in my favor. Its my father's car. No rot on the body, but the floors need some attention. Thinking on going right through it with a full restore and raise up the suspnesion for some 20's. :noes:

17. RICKIEFRAT

:coolugh: Nice ride !!! What was your mods?

18. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

Lot of nice car. I've got some of the 85-87 tail lights. I'm thinking about selling them. But, back to my subject, does anyone have an input shaft? I need one something awful.

19. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

I had an 11psi Procharger, ported heads and intake, MAC shorties, Bassani hi-flow cat h-pipe, 70MM TB, 73MM MAF, 3.73 gears, ARE 17" wheels, '92 Z28 rear spoiler, Saleen front air dam, Flowmaster mufflers and a few other minor things.

I loved the power and the sound of the blower but my current ride is a lot faster. :cool: '94 Firehawk with a 396 stroker, custom cam, ported/polished LT4 heads and intake, long tubes, hi-flow cats, 4" Mufflex catback and 4.10s. This is an older picture, now I have 18"x9.5" polished aluminum 5-spokes on it.

[​IMG]