Fox body guys, I need some rim pics please!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by fst89lx, Apr 1, 2005.

1. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I am finally about ready to get my '89 running (been in the damn garage for 3 years :( )

.030 over 302, afr185's milled for 10:1 comp, edelbrock performer intake, comp cam (can't remember model#), accufab tb, pro-m mass air sensor, BBK longtubes, O/R x-pipe, 3.73's.

Anyway I don't have a set of rims yet and the stock 10 holes aren't going to cut it. I am planning on getting some cobra R repro's and either getting them painted or powdercoated black.

So, if anyone has pics of black rims on a fox body stang please post them (if the car's red thats a plus as mine is red)

and yes I know everyone and his brother has cobra R's but these are just to hold me over hence why I'm getting reproduction and not OEM, I'm not going to get good rims until I do a 5lug/4wheel disc swap.

2. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

Here's my '90 with black bullitts. 17x8 front 17x9 rear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

I like Pony's

[​IMG]

4. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

get Steeda Ultra Lights, the first series looks similiar to Cobra r's if thats your fortay and they are lighter.. i personally like the look better anyways.. everybody and there mother has r's

5. 1349

1349 Kruzifixxion

ponys are better

6. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

BBK rims are nice. I would have them on mine, but my stang goes to the track only, no need to put fancy bbk's on it.

7. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

how big of a tire are you running? any rubbing problems?

8. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I checked out Steeda's website, I like the Ultra Lite wheel, but it'd cost me ~1k for the set and then I'd have to turn around and spend another 1k or so when I do the 5 lug swap.

I think I may give ebay a try.

9. TireSmoke

TireSmoke New Member

10. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I have liked the snypers for quite a while now but they're expensive and like I said I'm just getting some cheap ones now until I do a 5lug swap.

If anyone has a pic of black snypers on a fox that would be way :cool:

11. Cue-Ball

245/45R17 front and 275/40R17 rear. Yes, they rub. :) The fronts rub on the front portion of the inner fender. A '91-93 probably would not have a problem at all since they have larger fender wells. The rears rub a bit during hard cornering, but nothing too bad. I'm planning to lower the car either this weekend or next, so I'll probably have to break out the sledge and work the rear inners a bit. I'm hoping that a heat gun and some elbow grease will give me enough clearance up front. I'll also roll all four fenders just as a precaution.

12. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Hmm, I am going to have to do research on how wide of a tire I can run without rubbing. I would rather not beat on my fender wells. Do the fronts rub a lot or just when you have the wheel locked to one side??

Hopefully the car should be running in a couple of weeks and I'm going to need rims and tires SOON! Guess I better get reading/researching.

13. Cue-Ball

The front tires rub in the middle of turning. Most people with '91+ cars only have rubbing at full lock if they run 9" wide wheels. With the 90 and earlier cars you end up rubbing well before full lock (when the outer part of the tire touches the front inner fender). Depending on what size tire you run, what size wheel you run, what wheel offset, which spindles, which brakes, etc, it's hard to know if you'll rub or not. If you put a 245 or larger up front on an '89 expect to either rub or massage the fenders (or both). Remember, these cars came stock with 15-16" wheels and 225 tires.

Ditto for the rear. Lots of people run 9" wide wheels and 275s out back without rubbing. For some people that same size wheel/tire combo will rub. It depends on what wheel offset you're running and if/how you converted to 5 lug in the back. My rear wheels have 6" backspacing which would be great for rear discs, but I still have rear drums so they are too far "in". I run 1/4" spacers and still rub the inside during hard cornering. If I convert to rear discs or put in the longer SN95 axle it probably wouldn't rub at all on the inside, but might rub on the outside. Hell, some guys have been able to fit a 315 on the back. It just depends on how much you wanna bang on the tubs. :)

Without test fitting wheels and tires to your car, it's hard to know if it'll rub or not. Especially since your car is an '89.

14. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

It's kinda funny how much of a pain in the ass just picking out rims and tires can be :(

15. Cue-Ball

It's not much of a pain if you leave the suspension and brakes stock. When you change over to 5-lug is when things get tougher because there are about a hundred different ways to do it and they all give a different result. Unfortunately, trial and error is about the only way to know for SURE that something will fit. I measured dozens of times before i bought wheels, and they still rub at both ends.