SRS Found out I have carpal tunnel, or maybe even arthritus, at 30

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CaiWooBlue, May 30, 2008.

1. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

Found out I have carpal tunnel *updated*

Ive been having problems with my wrists and hands lately. Achey, burning pin, numb fingers. Starting to shoot up into my elbows. Big reason Im a lurker and dont post all that much.

Well I went to the Dr yesterday for it, and have been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel, advanced in the right had. THOUGH, there is a possibility of Early Onset Arthritus, as I do have other joint issues as well.

Not happy. [​IMG] They have given me meds, I start physical therapy in a week. I go back in a month and if has not improved I have to take time off work, and if it still doesnt improve I have to have surgery. The only way to know if it is the 2nd diagnosis is if the surgery fails.

So Im stressed. Of course this happens AFTER we just bought a car that my income pays for. Ive been trying to get a hold of my mom, as even though I am 30 in 3 weeks, I still like to hear Moms voice if I am upset, but we keep playing phone tag and she lives 2500 miles away. Well, at least dont have to take out the garbage any longer, as I am not allowed to lift anything unless I have to.

I dont know, Im just stressed. Im Bipolar, though Ive been more depressed than anything else for about the last year. Seems like everything always happens at once, you know? She also prescribed me an anti depressant, though I have to really monitor my mood to make sure that it doesnt send me into any mnaic episodes, since it wont be traeying the bipolor, just the depression.

Has anyone else here had carpal tunnel and how did/did you deal with it? I type 40 hours a week for my job. What about arthritus, at a young age? that is what is really scary to me.

:wtc:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. AgGoNy

AgGoNy Active Member

:hug:

wow man, i feel for ya - i type alot at my current job also. i guess after you do the therapy and all just maybe look for another job that isnt so demanding on your hands (typing) dont be miserable because of your job, you have a long long life ahead of you, last thing you need is to really screw up your hands because of work. its work, im sure you have other talents and you shouldn't have a problem finding another job. do you live alone or with a SO? married? if so talk to em and see wats up.

3. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

Im married and he is being really supportive of everything, helping out around the house more as I am under orders to lift less and things like that. My son starts preschool in the fall, and at that point I will be getting a job outside the home (I work from home now, as I dont like daycare). So I am sure things will work out, it will just be rough. I would cross my fingers, but it hurts, lol. Damn why is that funny to me? ah, prescription drugs. ;)

4. AgGoNy

AgGoNy Active Member

yes, im sure everything will work out for the best, it may be a bit rough but hang in there and keep your head up!

good luck with everything!

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I had some joint pains and Glucosamine(available at almost every drugstore) alievated my problems. i can give you a good exersise too, prayer lol, if you put your hands flat against eachother in prayer mode _| |_ 90 degrees on a regular basis , you can improve your relationship with God and exersise your hands in the same time ;)

6. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

if it is carpal tunnel and you have the surgery, it is highly successful and if you do therapy before and after, even better :)

dont' stress so much about the carpal tunnel. if it's arthritis, that sucks :( it's pain is ongoing and usually treated with meds

7. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

That is actually one of the excercises my dr gave me, and I will be getting some others when I start PT on Thursday. And trust me, Ive been raising my little Jewish voice. ;)

Thank you!

Yes, Ive heard the success rate of the surgery is super high, so I am hoping on that. If its the other, well, I will make the most of it. Gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Thank you guys. Its nice to be able to talk abot it with someone aside from my husband. I dont want to wear him out on hearing it all, you know?

The ultram theyve given me does work for the bad pain. I worry though because its addictive. So I take as little as possible to take the edge off.

8. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Me in less then 9 years? Only time can tell.

9. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

I started physical therapy today and guess what? My prospective regarding full healing with PT is a 2. Poor. A 1 is None, 4 is Excellent. What this pretty much means is that even after going to PT twice a week, after 4-6 weeks of therapy it is doubtful I will have any less pain, or any more mobility in my right hand. As I shift tasks from my right to my left hand, it is likely that the left will progress faster than it currently has been.

:(

10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

i was diagnosed with carpal tunnel at the age of 21. Never had surgery, even though at the time, my entire right hand and half my left hand was permanently numb.

Sleep with your wrists straight (maybe get a wrist support) and try seeing a chiropractor. Mine helps immensely. While I occasionally get wrist pains, by and far, provided I sleep with a straight wrist, I never hurt or go numb

11. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

I do the wrist supports, and I sleep with my hands on a pillow to keep them in a good position, but it hasnt seemed to help so far. I will see if my insurance will cover the chiropractor, I had been thinking of that.

Thank you :)

12. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

A pillow might not be so good. For the first month, I found laying on my side with my arm laying flat on the bed, with my hand on the side worked best. I never even actually used wrist supports. The idea is to have the least amount of stress on your wrist, so you want uniform pressure across it, and no bends.

Also try gripping your arm below the wrist (so that your wrist and hand are free to move) and rotate your hand in a circle, both ways, open-handed (don't close into a fist). If your hand gripping the arm is making it difficult, move it lower so there's freedom of movement of the wrist.

If you're anything like me, it'll be a lot of painful popping, but it'll feel better afterwards.

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

also, for whatever reason, the medical community doesn't seem to recognize the benefits of chiropractors. While I can't say I buy into everything some chiropractors claim to be able to do, I can say they can definitely help, especially with joint problems.

If you get a good one, they should be able to handle just about every bone in your body. Make sure to check into their credentials (should be hanging in their office), and see if they had to actually do a fair degree of schooling to get it. Mine had a BSc in Chemistry before she went to school for chiros

14. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

I sleep in the same position you mentioned, but ith the pillow next to me, as it lets my arm be raised, which helps the pain. does that make sense?

Oh I just tried the exercise you mentioned. OUCH!

Just looked it up, my insurance accepts ONE chiropractor in a 100 mile radius, who is not accepting new patients. :( Because I am an IC (independent contractor), no workmans comp to cover this, even if was proven to be caused from work.

I am still going to look into the chiros around here, and maybe talk to some friends who use one.

15. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I think that chiropractors are beneficial.
    It is just that there are these quaks out there that claim to be able to treat the flu by aligning your back.
    Those guys make the good guys look bad.

16. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I don't have health coverage for a chiro here, and it's still only about $35/visit. If that's the same there, it's worth it.

Also, the exercise hurts a lot, but how did it feel afterwards?

17. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

:werd:

Mine's excellent at what she does, but I still roll my eyes when I tell her I think I'm coming down with the flu and she says 'oh I can help that!'

I guess I can concede it's possible that an aligned back increases immune response, but that's as far as I can go with it.

18. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

to be absolutely fair, I have never been to a chiropractor.
    But I know people that have been - and they seem to have gotten real relief from it.
    And knowing a bit about what a chiropractor is supposed to do I have no problems believing that certain things would be the logical work of a chiropractor. I am thinking, neck and back pain.

But then I hear them talking about curing diseases and stuff and it comes across to me like an podiatrist (foot doctor) claiming to be able to straighten your teeth.
    It just doesn't sound logical to me.

But hey, I have never tried it - for all I know they have a point.

Then I hear of these people claiming all chiro's are quaks. Just sounds like the sort of thing that happens when a few bad people spoil things for all the good people.

19. kristin

kristin my dog > *

About two years ago, the doctor told me I may have carpel tunnel.. He gave me a nice long wrist brace and told me to stop hanging out on the computer as much (I worked 40 hours a week typing, just like you).. Shorly after that, I moved to Colorado and have been seeing a chiropractor for low back pains.. After the first few visits of her adjusting, my wrist started feeling better. I mentioned it to her because I was actually amazed (I hadn't told her I had wrist problems before because I didn't think it was important) and she looked through all my previous adjustments.. Every week she was adjusting the same part in my shoulder, and then my arms, my elbow, and a bunch of bones in my wrist.

Just like what Ameter said, even if the insurance doesn't cover it, try to find the money for it. Mine is $35/hr too.. Seems to be the "going" rate.

20. kristin

kristin my dog > *

I still don't know if I believe all the flu nonsense, but I went in there with some bad sinus issues (you know, the runny/stuffy nose/face you get after having a cold) and she used her "magical powers" and hit a few pressure points on the face which cleared up my sinuses right away. :rofl:

21. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

my dad had me going to one chiro who never helped me at all. I stopped going eventually, and I'd spend years in constant pain. Eventually my mom recommended me one she'd been going to. I went there, she was much more professional, seemed much more sure of herself, was far more careful (and effective) with the neck adjustments, and I went from being in excruciating and constant pain to being virtually pain free every day.

So I can definitely assert that chiropractors, if they do their jobs well, can have a very positive effect. That said, there are a lot of claims which I have trouble believing.

22. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

in any event, while I wouldn't go to one to cure me of the flu, going to one on a regular basis has a definite positive effect on my overall well-being

23. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

To be honest, I didnt notice much difference, but then I do hurt pretty badly today, so that could be part of it. I am still going to try it again though. I also have some other at home exercises that I was given to do.

I called the doctor to ask if she could recommend someone. She did, he is $40 an hour, but she wants me to go to PT for a couple of weeks at the least before I see one, So we are able to tell what is working and what is not. Actually makes sense.

I have been to one once before, about 8 years ago, for a headache that wouldnt go away. He made about three adjustments in my back and neck and it was gone. So I know that they can work.

24. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

Arthritis kinda sucks.. I have it in my knees and ankles really badly. It's just a breakdown of the cartilage in the joints, it just happens to affect most people's hands/wrists the most.

Older football players have a tough time getting out of bed since their joints are so wrecked.

25. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

Update!

Saw my doc for a follow up today, she is assigning 3 more weeks of PT, and we will be doing neck traction for the nerve she thinks is pinched.

Then, the week after its done I see the Orthopedic doc. He will do some treatment before we discuss surgery, if that is what he decides I need.

Meds are helping though which is nice, so Im not in pain all day. And they dont fuck me up, so luckily i dont feel stoned all the time.