Found a spot of rust on the M45...what to do?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by THT, May 3, 2008.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I found a spot of rust on the body of the M45 last night. It is the size of a BB by the passenger side, rear wheel well. How can I prevent it from spreading?

2. Abeo

Abeo New Member

What area of the country do you live in? Near the sea or up north in the rust belt? The correct way of fixing any rust is to sand blast it (in order to clean out the pits, otherwise it'll start right up again), zinc chromate primer, then a regular primer/paint.
    You can use a phosphoric acid 'rust killer' paste at home instead of sandblasting, you just have to make sure that its sanded right down before using it

3. THT

I live in Illinois but this car will be garaged from October until April and will never see snow or road salt. Here's a pic of the affected area:

[​IMG]

Close-up:

[​IMG]

4. Abeo

Abeo New Member

If it were my car, I'd have a competent paint shop fix the rust, and use the fender lip section to blend the paint, and probably re-clear the rear quarter. The only place where color needs to be applied is small, so the chances of ever seeing the repair is slim... again, you need a good painter for good results, as there are alot of butchers out there, but this would be (IMO) the best looking repair for the money (and any color match issues would be limited to a small area). If I were to attempt to repair that at home, it would look ugly and probably come back.

5. THT

The rear quarterpanel is one piece with the roof though so that would be a lot of re-clearcoating. I guess I need to start asking around for body shop recommendations.

6. Abeo

Abeo New Member

Again, with the right painter, you can use body lines or panel section changes as termination points for clear, with a good polish it will be invisible.

7. THT

:rly:

Thanks for the advice. There's a body shop by work that fixed up my friend's 928 S4 and the did a pretty good job so I'll swing by there and see what they say.

8. Pogi

Pogi Official Pointy Boot Guey Ver 1.0

that is just surface rust.

Sand it down to the bare metal and use touch up paint to fill the hole up until it is even with the rest of the paint.

wait a day or two and then polish and wax it.

9. THT

How do I sand it down without affecting the surrounding paint?

10. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Seriously, just dab it with black touchup paint and get on with your life.

That rust won't be a problem until the car has reached its 4th owner 12 years from now.

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

something like that.

12. David02

David02 Guest

Go to any hardware store and get a can of navel jelly. The stuff eats up rust, but will not harm your paint.

Depending on how deep the rust goes, you may have to apply it several times until you are down to bare metal. Just follow the instructions.

Then use some touch up paint, polish it down to be even with the original paint. Clear over it, and polish again.

13. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Agreed I have a spot like that on the Maxima and its been like that for over 4 years and I live in MN the winter and salt capital of the US.