MMA Found a new school!

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Antigeek, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

:wiggle:

After my incident with the boxing stuff a couple weeks back, I made up my mind about finding somewhere else to train.

I took up the offer of a free week at Gracie Barra Northshore, and liked training there, but they have a different mindset than I do. I noticed it when most of the guys were sitting around discussing an upcoming MMA show and were talking about what weight class they would be fighting in. Their focus is 100% competition, whether it's jiu-jitsu tournaments or MMA fights.

So I dug around some more and found a Carlos Machado affiliate school also in Mandeville. I went to check them out Monday night and was told by the instructor "I don't like people watching, so take off your shoes and get on the mat."

This place teaches 2 different arts: Machado BJJ and Han Mu Do.

Han Mu Do is a Korean system developed in the US and certified by the Korean government in 1989. It's a lot of joint locks, pressure points, throws, strikes, weapons, etc.

Anyway, I worked out in the Han Mu Do class and pretty much just got a demonstration of what the art is. Then I stayed for the BJJ class, which was really good. The instructor does a really good job of breaking down the fundamentals and drilling them. We worked a guard pass, a half guard pass, and getting guard when you're mounted. Then we grappled a few rounds.

After he invited me to come back last night and tonight and try a couple more classes before I make any sort of a decision.

Last night's BJJ class was really good. We worked a guard escape and attacks from the guard including triangle choke, Americana, and a couple arm bar variations. He'd show a technique, we'd drill it a couple times, then try on a resisting opponent. Then he'd show a counter to it, try it a couple times, then again against a resisting opponent.

Then we grappled a couple rounds.

Tonight's Han Mu Do was an exercise in shoulder throws. We worked throws for about 45 minutes. We started with a shoulder throw of an opponent choking you from behind with both kneeling, than you kneeling and him standing, then both standing, then both standing with him pulling you back. I haven't done something like that, well, ever. I've done the throw before, but never had it broken down like that.

The BJJ classes are very informal and very casual. The Han Mu Do stuff is fairly TMA'ish, which is fine because I like that atmosphere.

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy about finding this place. I knew it was there, but never knew what they offered. I'm glad I checked them out before committing to GB.

Best part.. No contract. If I need to take a couple months off, I tell them I'm taking off a couple months and don't pay them. When I'm ready to return, I return and pay them.

The dojo/dojang/whatever it is in Portugese isn't exactly high-dollar. They've got a really good suspended floor with good mats, but the climate control is the big garage door at the back and a couple of fans. If it's hot, they open the door and turn on the fans. If it's cold, they close it.

Oh yea.. Carlos Machado is doing a seminar there in October, and does 2-3 a year. He oversees belt promotions.

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Sounds like an awesome place!

3. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

sounds pretty cool :coold:

congrats on finding somewhere you enjoy the atmosphere, thats the most important part of training. if you dont like the atmosphere you wont be excited to go :hs:

4. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

www.sunbiwarrior.com But it's being rebuilt. Their old site was a fine example of webprogramming via FrontPage 97.