WEB foums help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by njftw, May 17, 2008.

1. njftw

njftw New Member

i have vbulletin running on a site. when you go to mysite.com it automatically forwards you to mysite.com/forums/cmps_index.php so you can see my forums with vbadvanced installed.

i know if i wanted to have my forums at mysite.com instead of mysite.com/forums all i have to do is move all the vbulletin folders into my root directory on my server...but how do i get the vbadvanced page to show up? becuase it will still be mysite.com and it will show my forums, but not the cmps_index.php page.

halp

2. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

you can also set your root url for the domain to /forums/.

how to do this depends on your host

3. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

you rename the vba main file to index.php, and your forum file to forum.php.
    there is a setting in vbulletin that you need to change to tell it that the index file for vbulletin will be 'forum.php'.

but, to be honest, save yourself the headache and have the forum as a subdomain, and the vba install in the root.

trust me, you'll save yourself and day of agony.

4. njftw

njftw New Member

Ok I got it all set up. Mine is www.houstonboardsports.com if you want to check it out. I had about 16 member when I first got it up about a month ago, but when I upgraded to VB7.0 or whatever I accidentally erased everything so I only have 3 members now lol everyone will have to re-register.

I just spammed it on another forum that was similar to mine, told people to check mine out because it was more localized for my area. But I still don't really have ideas on how to promote, for me its easier cuz we longboard so we are gonna make stickers and start sticking them everywhere we skate...should work out. Plus vids for youtube with a link to my site.

Good luck with yours

5. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

before you start promoting it, make sure its functional, and looks good. right now you just have the default vb theme and logo. change it up. make it look inviting. its REALLY hard to start a forum, but once you get about 100 - 200 members, it just grows itself.