GUN Forward Assist

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fire Sauce, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

What is it, what does it do, how does it work? :dunno:

2. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Basically it's a button you push that manually pushes the bolt forward into the chamber to make sure the bolt's in the right spot, which you'd want to do if your gun was dirty and didn't fire because dirt or whatever was keeping the bolt from going all the way forward.

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The forward assist is a bad idea that has been carried down through the M16/AR generations. It exists because of early reliability problems brought on by improper cleaning and poor powder choice in early ammo. Beating a round into the chamber when it doesn't want to feed doesn't normally do much except cause a bigger malfunction.

The only time I would advocate using the forward assist is after an administrative action such as a press check. Giving the forward assist a tap or two to confirm you are back in full battery is different than using it to force a round into the chamber.

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i use it every time i hit the bolt release or use the charging handle.

5. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

It's a double check to make sure your bolt is where it should be before you fire. An AR-15 unique to almost every other auto weapon - since there is nothing on the bolt itself for you to grab on after a round it loaded (the charging handle doesn't move back after every shot) The bolt and carrier are internal and move internally - unlike an AK or most any other semi autos - which you can physically move the bolt whenever you want. see pics (I used an AK as reference)

[​IMG]

see there is a lever or whatever you want to call it attached to the bolt itself - which is how you chamber a round.(pull it back) It is also attached to the bolt itself so everytime you fire it moves with the bolt..

here is a AR15
    [​IMG]
    You only pull the charging handle back once to load a round, and it does NOT move with the bolt after every shot... like the AK does... Soooo if for some reason the bolt doesn't go all the way forward after a shot you just hit the forward assist, which pushes the carrier group into the chamber.. .. before the forward assist days you would have to pull the charging handle back again to unload a perfectly good round and load another round - or use something to try and push/lock the carrier forward since there is nothing physically attached to the carrier group!

I know those are some shitty pics but I hope it helps you.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  6. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

Ok. If you can't barely tap the FE and chamber a round something is seriously wrong with the rifle/round to begin with.

Bad Idea? I don't think so, I want a way to to chamber a good round without loading one and trying to chamber another back in its place. I had two rounds at Benning that didn't have enough powder/gas whatever to push the bolt back to chamber a round solid. (all happened on burst though :o) One little tap and it was all good - compared to pulling the charging handle all the way back unloading a good round and slamming another one in..

~edit I think they gave us shitty ammo since my Armalite has never done it :o

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004