Forum software

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mattxr1, Nov 20, 2006.

1. mattxr1

mattxr1 bamf

I'm looking to make a new website for my fraternity and think that a password protected forum would be the best bet for the active members section. I'm trying to find forum software that is pretty cheap and easy to use with all the usual capabilities like imbedding images into posts, search functions, sticky threads, moderators, etc. I really like vbulletin but it seems like it might be a little expensive.

I'd like to use the forums for everything from putting up pictures of events to signing up for trips to just fucking around. It's important that the software allow me to approve members though so we don't have non-fraternity members being able to access the forum.

This is probably frowned upon, but are there any free versions of vbulletin out there? How do forums work anyway? Do I just copy and paste the code into whatever I have? I'm only really familiar with HTML and was just going to do the page in that... am I still going to be able to put in a forum?

Thanks for any help!

2. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

3. mattxr1

mattxr1 bamf

hmmm looks interesting. how hard is that for someone with little to medium web-page-designing experience???

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Easy.

It has the user activation stuff too, everything.

5. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

phpbb is free and pretty easy to use. the downside is you will have security risks and will have to hack the crap out of it to get anything other than a basic forum. It does do the job it was designed do well. The added stuff is what gets to be a bother with all the file edits.

phpbb.com is where you can read up it.

Vbulletin costs $160.00 us. as long as you can get them the $80.00 you can get a leased license and then pay the remainer within 6 months to get the owned license. There are very few file edits with it and all the features you listed are included in the software plus anything you can find at vbulletin.org. It is all plug-in based and upgrades are easy. You can get it free, but I would not recomend it as they are pretty clear on their piracy policy.

forums work by creating a datsbase and uploading the files to a webserver. running the install file will pretty much set up everything for you in either package. I went with phpbb at first but soon migrated to vbulletin. the file edits and security issues were just too much to keep up with and I found vbulletin was so much easier to deal with and administrate.

6. AJP

AJP 7-1 LOL Green Gay OT Supporter

7. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

vBulletin with all uploading disabled.

phpBB is not secure.

8. Frequency

Frequency New Member

9. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

not loading on my end.

10. Vito_Corleone