Forming a cluster questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cracka., May 15, 2007.

1. cracka.

cracka. Guest

I would like to take a bunch of older computers particularly p3 700mhz computers, anywhere between 3-6 of these and cluster them. I was wondering if it would be better to use a linux system of some sort and then run windows off of that or get a copy of windows cluster and do it that way. Either way I need the computer to ultimately run windows. I'm not overly sure how to do this other then the basic idea that I network these things together, find a distro of sorts and install it on all of them.. ect, if you have done this before or even understand what I'm trying to do please, input is appreciated.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i have setup clusters before. However, we have had a REASON to do it and this REASON is best addressed by a cluster.

WHY are you doing this? (That will determine how you cluster, if at all)

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

you're probably going to run into speed (and license :hsugh: ) issues with windows 2003 and using MS clustering architecture.

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

We setup a Novell cluster that does email, file sharing and login security among other things. Those need to always be available, thus a cluster works for us. I don't see why you need a cluster . . .

5. cracka.

cracka. Guest

Ok, well, I have a boatload of shittly low end computers, I can't do a whole lot with them, I have a particular friend who would like to be able to use adobe products, dreamweaver, and various other programs of the sorts, however, with such low end computers, were talking p3's here, the only thing I can think of is a cluster, but as you have stated and I know, how much worth is there in doing it as far as speed goes.. or is there os out there now worthy of using?

6. cracka.

cracka. Guest

since when has licensing been a problem :naughty: if you catch my drift :cool:

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're gonna catch my drift when I request a ban if you continue that talk...

NO PIRACY is allowed in this forum.

8. cracka.

cracka. Guest

uh, I work for an education system, and I have access to unlimited windows licensing.. :)

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You're not going to get desktop applications to perform across a cluster. It doesn't work that way. They're not designed for that. You could RENDER across a group of machines, but you're not going to run one desktop application on a 10 machine cluster and have it go really fast. Not with windows cluster.

10. cracka.

cracka. Guest

Is there anyway to emulate windows inside of a linux cluster software, so that windows sets it up as one machine? catch my idea?

11. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

12. RiSk

RiSk New Member

I work on clusters for a living..... and windows is not the best solution for clustering... ROCKS is prolly be best way to go as you dont have any home brew stuff, and plus you can say FUCK YOU to lic as its all free

Oh and clusters are norm used to model, map things, or solve really big equations.... Not run adobe.

13. cracka.

cracka. Guest

yea, I figured that, just thought I'd ask.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

thats not what a windows cluster is for.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

As with any setup that uses multiple processors, you can't combine the CPU power of all the processors to get one faster processor. What you get is the ability to do more than one thing at once, which can make the whole system run faster by reducing bottlenecks, but the individual programs will still run dog-slow if you're using old CPUs.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I am scarred if you are in any way involved in the computer science department of any educational facility.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You can setup a Linux cluster to LOOK like one box. Thats really neat.

18. deusexaethera

If only it were running an OS that supports running software that any end-user would like using.

19. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

what type of cluster are you trying to achieve? grid computing on a distributed cluster? or just need an HA setup to provide highly available services?

What interconnect do you plan to use? Infiniband? Memory Channel? Ethernet? over glass? A factor that will determine how fast or slow your cluster will be.

How do plan to share the storage between the nodes?

If you're in education, does your uni have a few supercomputers? Why don't you ask those guys for assistance and some old hardare....

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Fortunately those kind of end-users have no need for clusters ;)

21. elevator

elevator The tenants think it's wonderful! ヽ(´ OT Supporter

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

22. deusexaethera

This one does. :rolleyes:

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Oh yeah? What for?

24. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I use a cluster at work for running big equations (Fluent) and right now I'm using gigabit ethernet for the connection. In reference to crontab's post, are there faster alternatives?? It is far slower when I run a parallel case than a serial but the cases I'm running now are large enough they won't fit in a single box (even with 8gb RAM!)

I suppose the real question is whether the connection is the botleneck or if there is something else that chokes it. I initially thought it was just the way a parallel system works but when I start a 2 core parallel case on a single machine it's plenty fast, only when I split it between machines does it slow. Also, the network usage does not really imply that the connection is being maxxed out... Any thoughts?

(oh, and sorry to derail the thread, just a side note on similar subject…)

25. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Not necessary "faster", but quicker responding if you will. The latency with infiniband and memory channel is low, real low. Some setups require this low latency, while some do not due to other bottlenecks....