SRS Formerly fat crew, still feeling it

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlassUser, Nov 14, 2006.

1. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

So I'm big-boned, made to carry a lot of weight. I had a really nasty weight lifting accident in about 1998 (I was 19 or 20), couldn't really work out, could barely walk, got depressed, got lazy, and went from about 220 lbs to 320 lbs (over the course of a few years). I'd made efforts to lose it, and did lost good chunks of it here and there, but laziness, reaggrivated injuries, and combinations thereof caused me to quit and gain most of it back.

Well I finally got really pissed off about it this summer. I went on a nasty crash diet and damn-the-torpedoes exercise regime, and lost 90 lbs. Before, people guessed I weighed about 250 (when I was 320 - see, I am made to be big). Now I'm about 230, and sometimes people claim to barely recognize me. Objective analysis of behavior patterns and third party interviewing (eg a girl friend goes up to a girl in a bar and asks what she thinks about that guy in the corner) demonstrate that I'm pretty damn good looking. But I don't feel it!

I guess this is a self-image thing. I don't feel any smaller or slimmer. I'm not comfortable going out without a shirt on. When I try on my "fat clothes" - you know, the shirts that look like a small tent on me now, the pants that can hold two of me - there's a nagging idea that someone actually switched them out and that it's the clothes that are bigger. In eight years of being fattie mcfatfat, did I just grow a permanent "fattie" self image? What's there to do about it?

2. tehshift

tehshift Member

hey neighbor. formerly fat crew signing in.

don't have much to say on the topic but you need to realize what you have accomplished. you were one of the few people that actually stuck to your diet plan and had great results. you deserve all of the compliments you are starting to get and take it as a sign that you are slimmer.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Just out of curiousity, what was your weightlifting accident?

4. GlassUser

Was working to get a 1000 lbs leg press. Found out the hard way that my knees were rated for about 450 lbs each. Oops.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

What do you really want in your life? What are you seeking for?

About the self image problem. You need to love,support and believe in yourself.That way you can look in the mirror and say 'im satisfied with whom i am'.

6. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

7. GlassUser

I'm quite satisfied with myself, thanks.

8. GlassUser

awww

9. Cherry Red

Cherry Red OT Supporter

I will always think I am fat, I had two childeren and before them I was 111lbs I went up to 182 down to 126 with the next back up to 183 now I am 126lbs again. I think I feel this way because my body is ruined from the children and the weight I know i am not fat but I always feel like I am huge.

10. bounty_hunter

bounty_hunter New Member

getting there, Ive been working out alot, people compliment me but I don't feel I'm nowhere special yet. I mean I know I won't be like arnold nor want to but I still don't have the confidence. Then again with that, it's pushing me harder when i exercise so all in all thats a good thing.

I'm a perfectionist, when I'm not happy with something I usually block out what other people say.

11. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

You have success going for you. Think about that. Reward yourself instead of doubting yourself. You have come a long way and frankly, you are further than most people who want to lose weight but just aren't dedicated enough to sacrifice what they really want. I am not sure why you have the old clothes around but throw them out or better yet, donate them. I am still fat but I look at what I could be (fatter) and where I can be if I work hard (healthy). If you don't feel smaller or slimmer, push yourself to do something strenuous or really athletic/active that you used to have some trouble doing and you will feel the weight loss because you will be able to do something you have not done before with as much ease or enjoyment. I hope you get to feeling as good about yourself as you do about your successes!! :)

12. GlassUser

What are you babbling about? I got what I wanted. I'm not fat any more. I can't do most kinds of exercise because of the injuries that started this in the first place.

13. whelen1

whelen1 New Member

to the OP, im in the same boat as you.

Went from ~290 for years now down to 228 in about 14 months. Im big boned and at 290 people were mistaking me for 240/250. Trust me I feel you on that. AND I have two bad knees, so shit we must be long lost brothers or somethin....

Your always going to remember what you WERE and there are always going to be those thoughts/self esteem issues. I look back on some of the photos when I cleared the 300lb mark by jr high/high school and I just cringe.

like you said, you got what you wanted, nows the time to start a new life. You'll get that confidence booster soon and you'll never look back.

14. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

Who was talking about exercise and everything that is "active" doesn't always require that you use your knees. I am just saying to take note of things you can do now with more ease and to maybe do something that would normally have posed too big of a challenge. :)

15. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

I'm still in the fat crew. :wtc:

16. GlassUser

It's not just my knees that are messed up. I have two bad kness, one bad hip, one bad shoulder, one bad elbow, and two wrists on the way out. Sadly, the wrists are the only things not sports-related. I expect to never be able to run or swim with any ease.

17. GlassUser

Well, you can change it.

18. GlassUser

Okay, damn. This evening, I ran into a girl in the grocery store. I've known her since she was about two years old. She wasn't even going to give me an invitation to her wedding this summer, just assumed I'd know to be there. So yeah, I ran into her in the store this evening, and she didn't even recognize me. I had to go up to her and start talking. WTF?

19. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

I'd like to see pics, preferably, before and now.

20. GlassUser

I suppose I should go around to taking after pics.

21. MoP

MoP New Member

IN!...

I had the exact same feeling of not being comfortable in just t-shirts and shorts and stuff.... but I wore them anyways.. and eventually I became comforable. I still have the poor self image of a fat person though... i think the only thing that can help us here is time.

22. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

I heart teh GlassUser

:wavey:

23. GlassUser

by popular demand, taken five minutes ago:
    [​IMG]

24. Seiteka

Seiteka New Member

you're looking amazing honey! I wish there was some way I could convince you that you aren't fat anymore. :love:

25. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

you're not fat. what's a "before" picture like?