Formatting new drive from RAW to NTFS - Issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3x, Aug 23, 2008.

1. 3x

3x New Member

So I've been out of the PC scene for a while since I switched to Macs, but I ordered a new hard disk drive for my pop's computer since he was running out of space. It's an older Dell that utilizes IDE cables. I got the hard drive today, made sure to put it on the 2nd slot on the IDE cable, set it to cable select, and made the primary disk (the original drive) the master.

I try to go and use the disk, it's in RAW format. No problem, I go to Disk Management and then try to convert it there after creating a new partition and assigning it a letter. It goes to 100% before saying "unable to format due to error" or something along those lines.

I've done it over four times now, and it just won't work. Is there something I'm missing?

I bought this HDD from Newegg and it didn't come with any packaging or anything...simply a HDD inside of a static protection bag wrapped in some bubble wrap. BTW, it's a Seagate 7200 Raptor disk.

Any help would be appreciated. The next thing I'm going to try next weekend (since I don't live at home anymore) is to get a XP cd and try to format it from the CD while booting.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Either make one master, one slave, or both cable select - don't mix and match. And my preference is master/slave.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

+1 for master/slave

4. Ohayou88

Ohayou88 New Member

This is 3x posting on my friend's account since I'm at his house.

Anyway, the first time I tried it, I had both drives set as cable select.

Should I try master/slave?

5. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Depending on the age of the dell.. you might actually need a Cable Select cable, for it to work. Otherwise just use master/slave.