Format hardrive - Help needed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I am trying to format the harddrive of a Compaq Pressario laptop but have having some trouble.

I type Format in the command prompt and it says the usual "All data will be lost" etc. I press Y to carry on BUT then it says it cannot carry it out as there is a process running and do I wish to dismount the drive to try and continue. I press Y but it says it cannot cary out the format.

I then tried booting in safe mode and formatting from there. This time it begins to run the format but stops at 21% and re-boots.

I then made a MS-Dos boot disk but the format command is not there, only the Del command is.

(The computer is running XP)

I now have no idea. I have never seen this happen before.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks!

2. tony

tony Guest

You cannot format a partition that is in use.

If its your main system drive, then let windows do the reformat when installing.

If its a secondary drive, use disk the management tools in xp

3. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Hi Tony,

I have never come across this problem before. Does XP operate differently to Win98? I have'nt seen a MS-Dos prompt on XP like on Win98.

I will have to check for the format prompt when installing again, I may of missed it last time.

The disk management tools arn't allowing the formatting.

4. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

Amazing. I had this exact same problem yesterday. I was trying to format the hard drive of my parent's emachines computer running XP. It had a virus and they didn't have the original software, so I was going to install 98. I got the same formatting error message. The files were partitioned as NTFS or something instead of FAT 32. After some internet searching I kinda solved the problem.
    What I had to do was put in the 98 cd, restart and boot from cd. At the a: prompt I typed fdisk and then erased the partitons and repartitioned the c: drive. then I could reformat it.
    But when I installed 98, the graphics went to shit. I can only select 16 color and 640 x 480 resolution for the monitor. It says the driver is the most recent one for the monitor and video, but I think the computer is not recognizing the video card correctly. I don't even know what the video card is. I opened it up but can't find anything inside to give me a clue what it is. Anybody know what I should do to get it running at 16 million colors again?

5. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Did you have to repartition the hard drive yourself manually?

If your graphics are shit which has happened to me before when installing 98, I found that my motherboard has the graphics card directly imbedded into the motherboard. The motherboard came with a driver disk and I had to install the motherboard driver before installing the OS.

6. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

Yeah, using fdisk. It gives you options, so you can figure out what you need to select.
    And yeah, I think this video card is the same way. I'll look into finding that motherboard driver.

Here's the sequence I used to erase XP and install Windows 98. Run Fdisk, remove the Non-Dos partition, create a Dos partition,make it active, reboot, and format C:.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

The graphics problem is because you don't have the correct driver loaded for the video card. Whether it is onBoard video or not doesn't matter, you still need to find out what it is. Being an eMachine it probably has a model number which you can lookup on their website and get the drivers.

640x480 is a generic driver.

As for formatting it sounds like you are trying to format from the XP Command Prompt, you can't do that. Since XP (maybe 2000) you can no longer boot into the real DOS command prompt like you could in 98. You need to boot from a floppy OR the Windows XP Setup CD. If you boot from the setup CD it will ask you if you want to format then you'll be on your way to a fresh install.