format hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 00soul, Apr 4, 2003.

1. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

right now my computer is running really shitty. i want to format my HD and install a windows 2k.

i have a few questions though.

when i format and have no OS, do i just stick in my windows 2k cd and it will load or do i need to type a special command??

when i have no OS will dos just show up when i start it up?

i also do not have any of my software for my hardware and all the things in my computer i have no idea what brand they are. my cd-roms, video card, sound card, etc.. all need software i think, will windows 2k find out what drivers i need and download them?

sorry, im a complete noob when it comes to this stuff

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You should be able to just boot from the Win2k CD, and it will let you format your drive and install. You should be able to get everything running at least at a basic level from installing with the CD, and then download specific drivers later (for example, when I installed NT on this machine, I couldn't run my monitor higher than 640x480 until i downloaded the latest service pack and the drivers).

3. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Like he said, and if you need any further help with drivers or anything we'll be here.

4. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Yeah, before I make any big jumps like what you are talking about, I go through and make sure I have all my drivers ready for the new operating system. I also make sure I have access to all of the software that I will be installing so that there won't be a lot of down time. Just my $0.02

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

At the very least make sure you have your Ethernet drivers (for broadband), or your modem drivers if you're on dial-up. Without internet access, you will have a hell of a time updating everything else.

6. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

thanks. also i have 2 hard drives. on is all my downloaded songs and vidoes and the other is programs and OS and what not. if i install the win2k will i have a choice of formating just the HD with the programs and stuff, or will it format both? i dont have a cd-r so i was thinking i should just download my internet drivers and save them on my download HD

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Win2K will only format the partition or whole disk that you choose. I mean, you can delete the partitions during the setup but there's no reason to.

8. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member