Forgive my utter ignorance - how can I clean up my Computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Valinir, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Valinir

Valinir Guest

In no way am I a techi, but my computer is so damn full of junk that I swear its only running at 25-50% of its potential.

Current Specs are: 1.2 ghz AMD Athlon, 384 mb ram, win98 and I'm seeing comps twice as bad run much better than mine. My comp sputters and acts like its having a damn heart attack every time it tries to do something.

So I'm looking for ANY sort of pointers to help me increase my computer performance without buying new hardware (will be upgrading to 512mb ram however).

However, when I say pointers I mean walk-through's, cause I am computer illiterate :sadwavey:

Thanks so much
  2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Apr 3, 2002
  3. carlin

carlin Guest

first order of business since you are on windows 98 = clean old program and defrag....

go to add/remove programs in the control panel, and uninstall programs you no longer use, be careful if u dunno what to remove... then dont remove it...

go to system drive (i.e probably u're c:\ ) from my computer and then right-click on the drive, select properties... in the properties page, select tools ... and defrag button should be there....

4. Rob

Rob Active Member OT Supporter

Jul 6, 2002
    Forget trying to clean things out. Just reformat. You can't beat the speed of a fresh install.
  5. Valinir

Valinir Guest

Ok cool, thanks - I'll try those.

Not sure if I can re-install just yet though, Don't have my copy of Win98 anymore :slap:
  6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Apr 27, 2002
    :werd: With Windows I find it's often the registry that gets clogged up, and no amount of cleaning will solve that.