GUN Forget the ban, hurricanes are the new threat to AR and 223 prices

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Aug 29, 2008.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/thegunshots/2008/08/whats-selling-i.html

Guns and Gustav

We just got a call from Devline Rossell, a charter captain based out of Venice, Louisiana. He was shopping in New Orleans to get some supplies before the arrival of Gustav (currently listed as a tropical storm that has left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean) and reported that the item most in demand was not food, clothing or shelter.

“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”

Can’t say I’m surprised. After the nightmare that was Katrina I think it would be unwise for anyone to assume the state, local or federal government could guarantee his or her personal safety during a natural disaster. Of course, I think it is foolish to assume that under any circumstance.

The AR buying spree demonstrates that people don’t think of it as an “assault weapon” but rather an arm that is ideally suited for self-defense, which it is. I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm. Goes to show that not only is there no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole but that there is no such thing as a gun-control advocate in one either.

—John Snow

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Awesome. People are finally starting to wake up.

Why AR-15 though? Why not just pick up an AK for half the price?

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Man thats a statement I hate.

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

easier to find .223? Easier to adjust for different sized frames? Made in USA? :dunno:

5. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

you can find ak rounds in most buckets of spare change

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Lulz... so true.

7.62, 22lr, and 9mm rounds run rampant in my house. It's rediculous to see where they turn up.

7. johnson

johnson New Member

They're supporting the economy. :rofl:

I just ordered an upper for my AR.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Could be many factors. I can those that are ex military of some sort going to the AR platform because they are framilar with it. It may there is just more avaliability to buy AR's at local gun stores vrs AK's. Possibly because they just carry more AR's because there is a better margin, better distrabution channels.

I'd like to say it's because the consumer wants a rifle that can make precision shots at extended ranges, and they can carry more ammo with less weight but the typical civilian consumer does not think like this.

Also if it was the well being of your familiy you were concerned with I don't think you would bargin hunt for price in terms of a rifle. It would be Give me the best rifle you have for protecting my family and all the ammo I can fit in my car.

9. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

No love for the Mini-14? :hs:

That's what i'd want for my anti-hurricane gun.

10. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

I'm trying to decide which black gun I'm going to take if I bug out this weekend due to Gustav....Norinco underfolder, HK93, Benelli M3 Super90, or all of 'em.

11. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

The AR-15 is more recognizable to Americans and easier to buy from a mainline sporting goods retailer than the AK. I can rattle off a number of national chains that sell AR's (even Bass Pro carries them now), and they're available in gun stores everywhere. The AK just isn't ... respectable ... and is generally found only in certain gun stores.

12. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

My guess would be because that is what the store owners are recommending.

13. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

As do I. Makes me cringe everytime I see it. Guess that Atheist soldiers group never sees action huh?

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yep I'm sure they make more profit off an AR then an AK. Fine by me I dont want my ammo prices going up, I could care less if 5.56 went upto $1 a round :mamoru:

15. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

hell even academy sells them

16. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

Texas CHLs went up 39% this past summer, i think us texans are getting fed of illegals and other worthless people breaking into our city and being "terrorizers"..

i just wish more people would take the time out to be proficient with their weapon of carry rather then leaving it on the nightstand thinking its going to save a life by itself.

does sort of send a chill up my spin hearing people buying ar15s instead of shotguns..

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Why?

18. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

lets say some looters decide to hit up the apartment directly infront of me and the owner happens to get a good mozambeak off and the third shot happens to go through the door and hits me as i look through my peep hole...

same could probably happen with a shotgun, i guess i relate over penetration more to 556/223 or any other rifle rnd.

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

With the right round selection .223 can be less of an overpenetration danger than shotguns or handguns and still remain effective on its targets.

20. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

me and you know that, but does the general public? i have customers that use ball ammo as carry ammo, while that is fine and it works, i dont trust my life to box of blazer brass.. IMO i dont think most out there understand the different types of ammo. i mean everyone is automatically a professional when they pick up a gun anyways, i can only imagine what they would load or what condition they would keep it in at home.