Foreign Film Chat

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by cancer, Feb 17, 2006.

1. cancer

cancer New Member

Foreign Film Chat

Ugh, I made one of these another forum I used to visit for over four years. Unfortunately, the maturity level there was that of ten year olds. So here's to foreign films. I realize we might have some non-American OTers, but the majority from what I can tell are. And let's face it... when we think foreign film we think some obscure black and white movie where everyone's having tantric sex and speaking French... not "Shaun of the Dead".

So, with that said, this thread is for all aspects of the foreign film. List your favorites, some ones you might not've gotten, Criterion Chat, or what you like about them or whatever.

=====================

Personally, my favorite foreign films go as follow, in no order:

The 400 Blows
    Tokyo Story
    The Rules of the Game
    Seven Samurai
    Scenes from a Marriage
    Saraband
    Wild Strawberries
    City of God
    A Band of Outsiders
    8 1/2
    L'Aventurra
    In the Mood for Love
    Y Tu Mama Tambien
    Amelie
    A Very Long Engagement

2. joy division

joy division New Member

:hsd: don't be disappointed :rofl:

city of god is great, great movie....there are alot of japanese films I've seen over the past few years that have been great and I have no idea what their names are...one was like a japanese bathhouse with old guys. kurosawa films are always great too..amelie is good.

3. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

love these two as well! i'll have to go through your list and give some of those a shot. :)

a few of my favorites:

Spirited Away
    Life is Beautiful
    Princess Mononoke
    Amores Perros
    Run Lola Run
    Swimming Pool
    The Eye

this weekend i plan on seeing The City of Lost Children...i've only heard good things about it so far.

4. johnny

johnny shit, baby

How was 2046? Took forever to get here.

5. cancer

cancer New Member

Review I wrote for college newspaper:

2046 REVIEW

In the old days, if someone had a secret they wanted to keep they scaled the highest mountain, found a tree, carved a hole in it and they would whisper the secret into the hole. Then they covered it with mud. And forever, they left their secret with the mountain.

"2046" reminds us of the legend Wong Kar Wai first told us in 2000’s "In the Mood for Love". The adage about whispering the secret into a tree might apply to his career as a director, too. Will we ever know how Wong Kar Wai does it? Seamlessly, he crafts intricately composed films that are as moving as they are delicate. He shares the same talent few other directors have, like Tarantino, he crochets complex yarns from the simplest of thread and involves us to the extent that we are in 1960s Hong Kong.

"2046" weaves in and out of Chow’s (Tony Leung) real life and his futuristic visions with serpentine-like direction. The number 2046 is a very relevant one to the universe of Wong Kar Wai films, especially this one. It’s Chow’s room number, it’s the name of the science fiction novel he’s writing, and it’s also the year China has set for Hong Kong to relinquish its independence to the mainland (which is particularly relevant since all of Wong Kar Wai films are deeply rooted in Hong Kong, geographically and also as a state of mind).

The plot is too involved to really summarize, so giving a synopsis wouldn’t do the film justice. In short, Chow leaves Singapore and his lover for Hong Kong. There, he lives in a hotel room which facilitates all of his ongoing sexual exploits and, of course, the writing of his novel. We explore the lifespan of each of his affairs with the subjectivity of a memory. Through the back-and-forth actualization of his science fiction novel, we slowly begin to understand that Chow himself took the journey his characters did and that he too is on the long train ride back from the year 2046, a place where memories are just traces of tears and fade just as well.

I think why Wong Kar Wai films are so special to me, this one in particular, is because interpretations of his work are like snow flakes, they’re never really the same. Like a memory, "2046" is only real because you perceive it literally and through stunning cinematography and complex parralel narratives its cycles are only trusted because you saw just enough to believe. The composition of each shot is taken into consideration and executed with a sort of meticulous grace. The colors evoke the feel of China, vibrant and ornate. Often the shots are obstructed by a random hand-carved something straight from Asian antiquity or viewed through a glass prism, so that we never forget to question what we just saw.

In "2046", Wong Kar Wai delivers a film that transcends the norm of the modern aesthetic in film. It nearly surpasses the poignant, raw, and simple "In the Mood for Love" and does in several ways. But unlike its predocessor, "2046" is not a study on human behavior and emotion. Instead, it is a lesson in physiology and how our minds remember those emotional characters and will work for a thousand years on a train ride back home to forget them.

6. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

2046 needed a stronger editor.

Favorite French Movies
    1) Dreamers
    2) A Very Long Engagement
    3) Amelie

7. Appolinar

Appolinar New Member

I need to watch more foreign films. I've seen a bit of Asian 'extreme'/horror, especially over the last few years when it's became much easier to find, but that's about it unfortunately.

And in that sort of category, I've seen Audition, Battle Royale 1&2, Dark Water, The Eye, Ichi, Ju:On: The Grudge, Phone, the Ring series, Shinjuku Triad Society, Suicide Circle, A Tale of Two Sisters, Tetsuo 1&2, Visitor Q.. probably more I can't remember. Mostly just the popular stuff.

8. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

City Of God
    Amelie
    Intacto
    Leon

9. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

oh my! how could i forget this one?! i own this beautiful film :love:

10. wytefyre

wytefyre New Member

I see no mention of My Sassy Girl or Windstruck. Why is this?

11. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

watched Haute Tension this weekend. made my stomach curl and my eyes water!! great film! :)

12. johnny

johnny shit, baby

Ridicule is one of my favorite French films

13. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

watched Y Tu Mama Tambien and The City of Lost Children this evening. both amazing films!

YTMT was so passionate...i'll probably end up watching it again tomorrow night.

The City of Lost Children reminded me of several films. brought me back to my childhood in a way. :)

14. cancer

cancer New Member

Who are some of your favorite foreign directors, on the whole? I'd have to say my top is Ingmar Bergman... it's amazing how deep and involved I get into a 5 hour film of his... his domestic dramas are my favorite but I loved the Seventh Seal as well.

15. johnny

johnny shit, baby

Lui Chia Liang, my man :cool:

Celestial Pictures bought all the rights to the Shaw films recently. Any that can be salvaged are being fully restored. It is amazing what has survived all these years...Heroes of the East was one of the prints found in good enough shape to restore :coold:

16. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

17. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Old Boy was bloody brilliant.
    I thought Eyes Without a Face was intresting. Salo is just fucking out there.

18. PC

PC Active Member

Casshern. Just amazing.

19. chickenfcker

chickenfcker OT Supporter

Das Experiment. I thought it was entertaining. Jenseits der Stille too...only the first half tho.

20. tefnut

tefnut build

As already mentioned:

City of God
    Das Experiment
    Run Lola Run

Other stuff...

Amarcord
    Bad Boy Bubby
    Bin-jip [3 Iron]
    Das Boot
    Il Buono, il Brutto, il Cattivo
    Diarios de Motocicleta
    Fucking Åmål
    O Homem Que Copiava [The Man Who Copied]
    Les Invasions Barbares
    Letyat Zhuravli [The Cranes Are Flying]
    Mar Adentro [Sea Inside]
    Mou Gaan Dou [Infernal Affairs]
    Nicotina
    No Man's Land
    Noz
    Osama
    The Rage In Placid Lake
    Det Sjunde Inseglet [The 7th Seal]
    Snatch/Lock Stock
    Talaye Sorkh [Crimson Gold]
    Les Triplettes de Belleville
    Der Untergang [Downfall]
    The War Game
    Vozvrashcheniye [The Return]

IMDB.com these movies if you're curious...

21. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

just saw suicide club/circle :eek3:

22. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Nobody Knows
    Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
    Cronicas

23. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

Der Untergang- Hitlers downfall, amazing movie
    City of God- Again