Forearm Splints v.PAIN

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Jeff Merr, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ive been going pretty heavy with Bicep training, and i notice that my forearms are taking a big tole, i do heavy BB curls, spider curls, hammers ect. When i do the BB curls, once i let the bar back down after my set, i can feel sharp pains in my forearms, almost as if all the pressure of the weight is being put in the center. Now its so bad that at school when i have my arms leaning on the desk, it hurts if i lean forward, it feels like the forearm bone is bruised or something now. Ive been taking IB profien to help with the inflimation. I want to keep going heavy because ive been really satisfied with my gains on my routine, but the pain is starting to kill me, anyone else experience these forearm splints from arm exercises?

2. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

on occasion a muscle in my forearm will cramp up hardcore from bi lifts, but some icy hot, ibuprofen, and rest make it go away faster.

really, it can be one of 3 or so things -
    1. muscle spasm/overworking
    2. inflammation of the periosteum, or covering of the radius or ulna (bones) in your forearm
    3. inflammation or damage of the tendons/ligaments stabilizing the elbow joint.

in any of the above cases, the only way to treat it (unless you have a complete tear, in which case you'd be in more pain and need to see a dr) is with rest, ice, stabilization/compression of the joint (brace it), and anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen/advil or naproxen/aleve).

3. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Its definetly in the bone, i can feel when i push on the bone that it hurts, and its in the same place on both arms, pretty much right in the middle between the wrist and elbow.

4. cheltron

cheltron Active Member

i used to get them as well, i found that working my wrists/forearms a little more helped get rid of them... maybe consider using an ez-curl bar instead of a straight BB... i know it's a little different but it shouldn't hurt nearly as much.

5. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

make sure that your wrists are staying level and not bending inwards

6. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

ice, anti-inflammatories, rest for sure then. not much else you can do, and if the membrane is actually torn, it may take a while.

7. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

my care is SO not present, nice front desk post niglet

8. houseofdon

houseofdon Simplify Moderator

Set the weight down really slow, and if you have a free hand use it to help the bar down. That seemed to help me a while ago.

9. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

i get the exact same feeling on occasion. But I haven't had them in awhile.

but i know what you're talking about. Mine just come and go though, for no rhym or reason.

:dunno:

10. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

A friend of mine told me that you can get braces for your elbows, same thing as a knee neopreme brace, and it takes some of the pressure off of your elbows/forearms, anyone use these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.