Ford RS200

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by fazed, Jan 15, 2002.

1. fazed

fazed Guest

Sorry only its Ass, but that's all you would get to see if it was moving anyway :)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

umm, more info please!!! :eek:

3. Guest

Guest Guest

cool
    quite the machine
    Those darn English Ford workers really get it right

4. fazed

fazed Guest

More Info.

Ford RS200
    build 1984 - 1986

In 1984 Ford needed to establish themselves in rallying again and therefor developed the Ford RS200 group B rally car. Although designed by Ghia, Fords own studios had influential input.

Ford had almost no experience with glassfibre, so they turned to Reliant for their know-how. The production line was set up in Reliants factory in Shenstone, where the aluminium engines for the small Reliants were formerly build.

To get accepted by the FIA a minimum of 200 RS200 had to be build, but 220 sets of parts where compiled, of which several never made their way to a real car but were used to supply parts for damaged cars.
    The engine: 1803cc with up to 600 hp !
    Additionally, 20 RS200 Evolution with 2.1 liter engine were produced.
    The quickest RS200s were awesome: 0-60mph in 3.6 secs, 0-100mph in 8.1, and 0-100-0mph in 13.6 sec

The RS200 had big potential to be a winner, but FIA rules changed in 1987 because of some terrible accidents, killing both competitors and spectators. The group B rally cars where just getting too much to handle. The 10 million pounds Ford invested in the RS200 were more ore less wasted. In there debut season of 67 races, the RS200 won 19 times.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

ah cool, that is what i thought it was, but the back looked different from what i remembered. i recognize the front tho.

6. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

I think the CART bunch should take a look at what happened to Group B rallying, cause they're headed in the same direction.

Back then, it was only 200 cars produced each year to qualify, now its 25,000 a year. Think Ford would have gone ahead with the RS200 if that were the case back then?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2002
  7. fazed

fazed Guest

Very unlikely.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

NO ONE competeing in Group-B would have gone that far back then, let alone Ford.

Although i still think the ULTIMATE rally machine, in a very close race with the RS-200 is the Lancia Delta S4.
    [​IMG]

Do some research on it. It was as quicker then the RS200 to 60 (3.2), and had a unique dual induction system, utilizing a supercharger for low RPM grunt, that disengaded as a turbo charger reached full spool in higher RPM. Later the system was changed to a dual turbo setup for even more boost from teh SC, and less spool time from teh sequential turbos. It fit the same bill as the RS200 with a mid engine 1.8L DOHC 4 cylinder producing well over 480 BHP *cough* more like 600 *cough*.
    It was also the car that kindof ended the group-B era.

But you can do all that research...have fun.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

i saw and RS 200 on speed vision today.

i was cool to see this almost 20 year old car running with the brand new WRC focii and Puegots...

10. fazed

fazed Guest

Ahh yes the Lancia Delta S4.

Henri Toivonen drove an S4 around Estoril, the Portuguese Grand Prix circuit, so quickly that he would have qualified sixth for the 1986 Portuguese Grand Prix. :eek:

The Group B Rally Cars

11. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

http://www.goss.com/pic9707.htm

Great pic of the 405 T16 at Pikes Peak.

One of my fondest experiences was getting to see the Group B cars in person at the Olympus Rally in Washington State in 1985 and 1986. Hannu Mikkola in an Audi Quattro in 85, wow. And Alen and Kankkunen in 86 racing against each other for the WRC title that year.

12. a2vwnick

a2vwnick VW Motorsports

Why is it that audi doesn't rally anymore?

13. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

Audi is pouring its money into its Le Mans program right now with its R8-R bullet. 2000 1-2-3 overall in 24 Hrs of Le Mans, then 1-2 at 2001 24hrs, not to mention 12 hrs of Sebring and Petite Le Mans wins, not to mention titles in the ALMS. Then add in Audi's DTM program and Audi North America's Speed Channel World Challenge team.

Just no money for rally.

14. fazed

fazed Guest

And of course inbetwee them Audi's fights in the BTCC (British Touring Car Championship). This seemed to have happened right after the WRC sucesses and inability to maintain the level of performance required. They then concentrated hard on the BTCC and had good success. Now it does seem like the Le Mans/Enduro is their target.

Next stop F1 ??? That would be :cool: :bigthumb:

P.S. Audi is a favourite of mine since WRC and then on BTCC :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2002