Ford Ranger Torsion v. Balljoints

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by GammaRadiation, May 4, 2009.

1. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I'm replacing the ball joints on my 2000 Mazda B3000 2wd with Torsion Bar suspension. I can buy upper ball joints with out the control arm, and with. Advance Autoparts only sells them w/ the control arm. However, other autoparts stores sell both. Some manuals online say you have to replace the upper control arm with the upper ball joint. Is there any truth to this or is it BS ford says to move more of their crappy front end parts. :mamoru:

My dad, who used to work as a mechanic, and my neighbor, who used to own an alignment shop said that Ford would rivet ball joints into control arms and say they were unserviceable. But, if you knocked the rivets off they were just press in units that could be bought for half the cost in the aftermarket. This was 30+ years ago, though.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Confirmed it with R-F.com and personal research.

There were two upper control arms put on my range of vehicles. Some have replaceable ball joints, others do not. It depends on the VIN but I cant find anywhere that tells me VIN ranges. Thus, pics for anyone who may happen to know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily, MOOG makes an upper control arm that has replaceable, greaseable (i think) ball joints so when I replace them I am going to get that control arm and ball joints in the future will be pretty painless minus the alignment.