Ford MN12 Crew v.AskMeAnything

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Funk T, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Anybody out there from the MN12 Crew? Post and be known for the king has arrived. :naughty:

2. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Although this is project is not complete this is the story of my car build up.

This car is a 1991 Thunderbird SC / 114,000 KM's

The Modifications:
    75MM Pro-M MAF-S
    3" SCP Chrome Inlet Kit
    75MM BBK ThrottleBody
    Magnum Power Inlet Plenum
    MagnaPort III Supercharger
    Raised Supercharger Top (Done by Tim)
    Double Intercooler (Done by Steve)
    MN12Performance Intercooler Fan
    Walbro 255 LPH Fuelpump
    #42 Ford Racing Injectors Injectors
    SCI Aluminum 5% Overdrive Jackshaft Pulley
    SCI Aluminum StockDrive Pulleys
    SCI Aluminum 7% Overdrive Pulley
    DynoMax CatBack Exhaust Kit
    EEC Tuner
    94 Gas Tank
    Magnaflow 12288 Res
    Custom 2 1/2" downtubes
    94-95 Mustang Style Headers
    Fel-Pro Headgaskets
    ARP Headstuds
    Supercoupe Performance Motormounts

*Note that the Pro-M 75 MM MAF-S is on the way out for a C&L 76 MM MAF-S

The Usuals Replacements (All new, no reman):

Gatorback Belts All Around
    Goodyear Idler Pulleys
    NGK Plugs
    Motorcraft Wires
    Cranksensor
    Camsensor
    PVC Vavle
    Oil Pressure Sensor
    Motorcraft Waterpump
    Coilpack
    DIS Module
    Bosch O2 Sensors

The Story:

All of these parts have been collecting for about 3 years. The tear down took two weeks and the car is currently still down due to A) no exhaust B) tuning issues.

[​IMG]
    Before starting a build make sure your car is on ramps so you have access underneath the car as you can't access everything from the top.

[​IMG]
    The MagnaPort III Inlet Plenum requires different supercharger bolts to fit the inlet plenum on because of the casting. For some reason my kit came two bolts short :( Before you even think of installing this unit make sure you have the bolts!

[​IMG]
    The opening of the MagnaPort inlet plenum is 85MM. It's enough to swallow my BBK TB gasket that comes in at 75mm! I hope it stays place otherwise I'll be fishing a gasket out of the rotors.

[​IMG]
    The rear of the inlet plenum. The kit comes with 5 fitting including 3 fitting for the rear. Notice that they are straight and not bent like the factory fittings. I HIGHLY suggest heading to Home Depot to grab better fittings. The problem with the straight fittings is that you will have to bend your vacuum lines causing kinks. I used two extensions and two 45 degree bends to take care of this problem. Scott (yyc_bird) will be doing a set of instructions.

[​IMG]
    Nothing to see here really. The sound ports are still open which is different from Jim Demmits & Coy Millers supercharger.

[​IMG]
    A machined air splitter added in by Charles.

[​IMG]
    All together now, looks pretty. I don't have an EGR.

[​IMG]
    Full set of SCI Pulleys. Note I have sent my underdrive set back in exchange for a set of stock sized. I also brought in a 5% OD JS pulley bringing my OD to 13%. I returned the underdrive's because I still have a factory rad.

[​IMG]
    Exhaust manifolds I took off of a 94-95 Mustang V6. The driver side requires an extension welded on or cut and rotated. Factory exhaust manifold gaskets for the Thunderbird SC will work. DO NOT REUSE YOUR STOCK EXHAUST MANIFOLD BOLTS! The FLANGES of the manifolds are different and you will bottom your bolts out! We snapped one of these bolts off in my head requiring us to take the car apart again! The head had to go to a machine shop to get drilled out! In total I had 3 different bolts snap off in the heads requiring maching out (more to come). I had to buy TWO Fel-Pro upper engine gasket kits to fit this problem. We went to a bolt store and grabbed some bolts that have a hex head so we were able to bolt them in at different angles. Very cool and well worth the $10 for new bolts.

[​IMG]
    The collectors. This set cost me $30 and $30 to modify. My set had an EGR fitting that needed to be welded shut. A big thank you to Steve (Turbo 2.3) for doing the house call! I would suggest anybody to him. THANK YOU STEVE!

[​IMG]
    Car cooling by Steve out in Ontario. Thanks for the intercooler. Best design I've seen. Steve welds in a divider to split the air charge into both cores.

[​IMG]
    SCP Mounts > MN12P Mounts

3. Funk T

Funk T New Member

[​IMG]
    New style fuel tank I got off of a 96 Cougar. $70 and very worth while if you want to be nice to the guy doing your exhaust tank.

[​IMG]
    DynoMax Cat Back system I bought on impulse. This kit wont be on my car long as its now a choke point. When I first got the car I never figured I'd be going balls out so I bought it. It's too bad the center pipe is .5" to small, the kit fits like a glove.

[​IMG]
    Old exhaust systems

[​IMG]
    Nice wrap around, I guess? New gas tank allows the system to go down the middle. You will reuse 1 old gas tank strap and the tank will come built in with the other.

[​IMG]
    Old Ikea tablesheet I split in two and bolted down onto the car to protect the paint. Worked great!

[​IMG]
    Bob my best friend wanted to get in there. Bob currently owns a 91 Thunderbird SC 5-speed red loaded with options. He will be doing a full resto job on it. We used to park side by side in high school :) This was Bob and I's first time working on a SC, whata bitch of a learning curve.

[​IMG]
    Once Bob and I got un-confortable I called in a pro. Scott (yyc_bird) made this project possible. He knows where every bolt goes by heart and we made good progress when he was around.

[​IMG]
    Choke point. Now let me tell you a thing or two about broken bolts in the heads. When taking the car apart two bolts (one on each side) snapped flush with the head surface from the intake manifold. We attempted to drill a small hole down the center of the bolts and the drill bit snapped! No problem because we still had the hole, WRONG! We tried to get an e-z out in there and IT BROKE FLUSH WITH THE HEAD! Off to Trevor's CNC machine shop. THANK YOU SO MUCH TREVOR! Without him my head repairs would have costed me an arm and a leg. He dropped everything to help out! THANK YOU AGAIN TREVOR (racin_ranger).

4. Funk T

Funk T New Member

[​IMG]
    New Fel-Pro upper engine kit. We surfaced the heads cleans, same with the block. The ARP headstuds are crap and I would only wish them apon my worst of enemys. Almost all of them required trimming to clear the OLD STYLE EXHAUST MANIFOLD BOLTS. The new exhaust manifold bolts cleared them without problem.

[​IMG]
    The heads were disassebled and cleaned with new bushings included in the Fel-Pro kit. The valve seats were hand grinded for proper fitment.

[​IMG]
    I love that orange mallet. Notice the lunch bags? All bags were labeled according to the bolts in them. Made reassembly easy.

[​IMG]
    This is how my car sat for a week when I had no time. This is after the second disassebly when the exhaust manifold bolt snapped off in the head requiring me to order a new Fel-Pro kit. We had the heads seated, intake manifold and exhaust manifolds on before the snap. It could be argued that the headgasket could have been reused but I did not want to risk it. The bolt did not snap flush so we tried different devices but ended up heading back to Trevor's shop for a second time. Once again thank you Trevor.

[​IMG]
    Fast forwad a little bit and we had the car's long block assembled. WD-40 works wonders on restoring old plastic such as the fuel rail. 6 #42 Green Top Injectors sit in the fuel rail. www.buyfordmotorsport.com $230 new :) They also offer a Lightning mass air meter for $90.

[​IMG]
    New manifold bolts. Thanks for grabbing them Scott.

[​IMG]
    Starting to get the crap back in the engine bay. While the car was apart I did a lot of painting, it payed off. The engine bay looks good again.

[​IMG]
    Fills up quick.

[​IMG]
    The bolts holding the lower IC suck to remove. We did not put them back in. Nor did we put the bolt on the rear of the fuel rail, or that other PS pump bracket that does nothing. Power to weight, right?

5. Funk T

Funk T New Member

[​IMG]
    Remember the firing order Scott! The only reason the car did not start on the first turn was because of a wrong firing order. Quick thinking saved us from killing each other. After the fix the car started.

[​IMG]
    Magic! At the time of this photo the SCI pulleys were not installed. Im reusing the stock airbox as it is a good design to keep under engine bay temperatures away. :) Sometimes Ford gets it right.

[​IMG]
    Open hood
    Open headers
    Open season on people who piss me off
    The car smoked for awhile as the paint burned off the exhaust manifolds. The driver side exhaust manifold required us to build an extension for the O2 sensor. Bob's support Cavvy in the background.

On a side note let me tell you about EEC Tuners.
    1) To make work right sand EEC computer terminal down with 180 grit sand paper. The silver coating will come off exposing a copper terminal. I've got an excellent connection now. Clean with terminal cleaner and rag. I have run into a another weeks delay because of a ~~~~~~ connection and bad instructions.
    2) Do not try to retro fit the cable and software to a newer laptop. It wont work, TRUST ME! I got a parallel to USB cable converter, it worked. The software did not work even when running in 95 Mode from Windows XP. I've now got my old computer out side for EEC playing around.

I'm waiting on a C&L meter from Dave. Once that arrives I'm off to Steve's exhaust shop to complete resenator forward. I will be getting the car towed there because open headers stink, really. After that dyno tune. Over the winter I plan to do a 85 MM TB and thats about it. Oh wait;

[​IMG]

Now thats it :)

I will be racing this car in memory of my father. SuperCoupes have been in the Siry blood line for a long time and I am no different. My father had one, my uncle has one, my grandfather had one and now I've got one.

Special thanks to:
    Scott for the wrenching
    Bob for the wrenching & bitching :)
    Trevor for helping with my head problems
    Steve for the house call and general interest in my project
    Steve from Ontario for the I/C
    Dave D/David N/Fast Ed for anwsering all my questions in a timely fasion
    Ryan Harris for the pulleys and great customer service
    My uncle Ken for quick thinking and a level head

6. Funk T

Funk T New Member

[​IMG]
    Extra bung on got put on for tuning
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the crappy pictures, I suck bad at camara settings. Magnaflow res.
    [​IMG]
    Piping to avoid hitting the diff. Lots of work into that.
    [​IMG]
    Drivers side bank coming down from the Mustang header.
    [​IMG]
    Where the 3" center pipe swallows the 2 1/4" dynomax system. :eek:
    [​IMG]
    Very sexy
    [​IMG]
    Reusing the hold hanger to provide some support. The res has been moved back from stock location. Flages are added so when my AOD goes poopy we dont have to wreak the exhaust system.
    [​IMG]
    Choke
    [​IMG]
    Steve did a lot of work to 'fine tune' the dyno max. A little trimming and swapping the muff's side gave the tips over hang.
    [​IMG]
    Passanger side

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Ahhh, that "other" V6 muscle car.

8. soccaian

soccaian New Member

why did you blur out the inside of the blower?

9. Funk T

Funk T New Member

wow this thread so got moved :squint:

Trishield: Its not much of a muscle car
    soccian: To prevent people from attempting to copy it.
    impulse_Z: Hoping for 300 HP and 400 Torque.

10. TriShield

Where are all the Cougar/Mark VIII/Thunderbird owners tonight?

11. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Oops: With the juice 320 HP, if anymore I'll get rid of it. The only reason I have it is so I can cool off the IC.

12. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

nice :bigthumb:

'96 4.6 T-bird owner :wavey:

13. TriShield

At the wheels?

14. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Yes

15. Funk T

Funk T New Member

4.6 :noes:

16. My Dixie Wrecked

better than the 3.8 '89 T-bird that I had before

17. Funk T

Funk T New Member

I find the 4.6's are rarer then the SC. Ive seen about 3 in 4 years.

18. TriShield

I thought most Thunderbirds were packing the 4.6...?

19. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Nope. 3.8L V6 N/A were the most common. Consider yourself lucky you dont have to deal with the shitty design flaw of the HG's on the V6's.

20. My Dixie Wrecked

most V8's are 5.0
    the 4.6 replaced the 5.0 in '96 I believe

21. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Sounds about right.

22. Funk T

Funk T New Member

23. Funk T

Funk T New Member

This sucks, where the fuck is the crew at?

24. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

King? You best check yourself son

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Crown vics got 4.6's in 93, Mark VIII's got the DOHC 4.6 in 93.

Tbirds/cougars got 4.6's in 94

Explorers kept 5.0's up until 2000