Force a static IP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Original Sin, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Original Sin

Original Sin I'm so hood.

I'm currently "borrowing" internet from Comcast, so I have a dynamic IP. I'm preparing to mess around with pfsense & load balancing, but it seems to require a static IP.

Now, since Comcast won't issue me a static ip, is there a way to force one? Or is there a work-around I'm not seeing here?

Has anyone here messed around with pfsense? Is there a way to simply assign a NIC as wan, without an IP? It would be much simpler if I could just tell it that NICs 1, 2 & 3 are always WAN, and that they always need to be balanced.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

Unless you pay comcast to give you a static IP it could change at any time. But in reality it only changes every six months or so, Ive had "dynamic" addresses for up to a year and a half before.

If you hook a different device with a different MAC into your cable modem you will likely get a new IP, but it will also likely change back if you put the old MAC back. At least thats been my experience.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No, you can't force their hardware to give you a static IP. The hardware is specifically designed so you can't do that.

Just register with DynDNS instead.

4. Original Sin

Original Sin I'm so hood.

Interesting...I thought it changed every few hours.

Will look into, thanks :bigthumb:

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

on another topic, my uverse ip will not change at all. att calls it sticky ip. the only way to change it is to have my gateway offline, then someone new gets on the same node and takes my old ip address

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

That's pretty much standard. Most clients (modems, routers, computers... etc) will broadcast its last known IP address and if it's available from the server, they get it.

7. Chris

Chris New Member

But the ISP still has the option to change it if they want to. I didn't power anything off, but mine randomly switched from a 90. to a 68. for no reason, as did all my neighbors.

If uverse is saying they wont do that, thats pretty cool.