GUN For you precision pistol shooting guys...Let's talk.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Nov 18, 2007.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

How in the fuck are you able to be so accurate?

I guess I should start off by saying I have had no 'formal' training, but have been shooting on and off for most of my 22 years of life. Though, I've really stepped up my game in the past 5-6 months.

I try to go to the shooting range atleast 2x a week; more if I have time. I almost always take my P22 for cheap plinking, sometimes take my G23 (factory adjustable sights), and most recently, my new Bersa Thunder 380. I've come to find out that I do much better, accuracy-wise with sights that have small dots that are close together (is there a term for this?). But, anything past 25ft, and my accuracy is way off. By way off, I mean I am usually able to pull 6-8" groups at that distance. Anymore, and, well, it just gets worse. 15ft, I can pull off 3-4" groups.

IMO, this isn't very good. I see some of you folks pulling 2" groups at 25 YARDS. How the hell do you do that? For one, I can't stay stable enough to do that. The slightest movement at that distance makes your shot 12-15" off target. And two, I can barely see the 10-ring at that distance, and I have 20/20 vision. The sight covers up most if not all of it. So, how are you doing it?

Is it that I just suck? Not enough practice? Bad technique? Formal training usually required to be able to pull that kind of accuracy?

My plan is to get signed up for some training come spring time. Tactical Defense Institute is based here in Ohio, and I've heard they're pretty good. From what I understand though, they teach you how to react to situations. I'm not so sure they help with accuracy, but, I could be wrong.

Help out the sub-par accuracy folks. :sadwavey:

p.s. - I'll try to get to the range in the next few days to get some pics of targets for analysis. :hs:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I was breaking clays at 25 yards with my .40S&W, today; It was taking 2-3 shoots to get each clay, though. I am definitely far from accurate. I have been getting better since I bought my own Glock, and the increased range time coupled with me being able to shoot the same firearm has definitely increased my accuracy.

So I would also be interested in any tips.

3. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

That's what I was wanting to hear. :bowdown:

Thanks, mango. :wavey:

p.s. I might still suck, though. :rofl:

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

the single best investment is formal training. I'm talking a weekend camp, 2 day pistol class. The one I've attended we shot over 1.5k rounds. You really get a sense of what you and your gun is made of. And best of all, you get feed back from world class instructors that see what you can't. It doesn't mean anything that someone shoots a lot, if they don't know what the hell it is they are working on.

I shoot alot, but most of my practice is not live fire. I work on fundamentals, practice stance, sight picture, and most importantly... grip. Then I finger fuck the shit out of my guns, learn exactly where your gun breaks. Then practice trigger control and learn what what a "shooting sequence is" I'm not going to recreate the wheel, google it.

Lastly, if you are flinching, this will definately impair you. Practice by having a friend place a dummy round in your mag randomly. And fire off the mag and when you get to the dummy round, your front sight should NOT deviate from your target picture. If you don't, you flinched. Have others watch you so they can catch it.

A good dry fire drill is the penny drill. Balance a penny on the end of your barrel. And dry fire so you don't knock the penny off.

there are a lot more drills I do that are specific to action pistols but these apply to bullseye shooting as well. Last but not least, bring only ONE gun with you to the range and practice with that. Rather than 5-6 different guns. You'll be spending more time transitioning and reloading than concentrating on honing in your feel for a particular pistol. I bring 2 at the very most.

5. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Good grip, followed up with practice practice practice... Formal training helps, pointers from other precision shooters too who can watch you shoot and critique. Remember what is best for others may not be best for you since everyone is different, but the fundamentals are universal.

This was 31 rounds at 15 yards.

[​IMG]

I was shooting too fast to be ultra precise, but you get the idea.

6. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:coold: That's nice!