SRS For those without a Mother on Mother's Day(my story)...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nateg, May 15, 2006.

1. nateg

nateg New Member

I didn't want to post this in the main forum...

This is for people out there who no longer have their mothers. Here’s my story.

I woke up at 10am knowing today was another Mother’s day without my Mother. She died November 22nd 1999 to Breast Cancer. I got over most of the pain in about two years, but her presence is well known and once in a while I still shed a tear.
    Every son or daughter will say their mother is the best, but my mother was one of a kind. She used to be a car freak like my father and myself. She used to drag race with a bunch of her girlfriends back when she was my age and my Grandfather was the one man pit crew. A team called the pink powder puffs. Well, these gear-head genes were passed down to me and to this day I still don’t know what a brake pedal is. Kidding. I’ve been dreaming to become an F1 driver or a Rally Driver since before I could talk.
    This year felt different since I’m not at home with my family. I’m on business in Petaluma, Ca and I’m originally from Boston. It’s not too easy here since it’s just me and I have very little friends to hang out with, but I’m only here till September.
    I called my Father and my Sister. I wished them the best and I wished my Step-Mother the best. She had Transurethral surgery last year because of Bladder Cancer so Mother’s day last year wasn’t the best day of her life.
    Around 12pm I decided to go out for my usual Sunday Lunch at Hue Tin in Santa Rosa. At first I was contemplating a little drive to Healdsburg after lunch to kill some time, but I was pushed to drive further.
    In my Ford Taurus Boat, I drove up to Ukiah which is about 80 miles north of Santa Rosa and 60 miles north of Healdsburg. I stopped and filled up the tank and thought about heading back, but I was pushed to drive further.
    I looked at a map Avis handed me to get from Oakland Airport to Petaluma. I found out that there was a road call Rt.20 near Willits 14 miles north of Ukiah. I said to myself, “what the hell” and started driving. I felt pushed to drive further.
    I don’t think I can remember a better drive than Rt.20 from Willits to Fort Bragg. It was amazing! Taking hairpin turns in that Ford at 45mph and ripping on Cliffside wraparounds like it was nothing, isn’t something I would suggest, but it handled pretty well. I felt I was in the World Rally Championship…

…with my mother as the co-driver…

She was there, I could see here! She was pointing at the direction and speed I should take that next turn. We were smiling and laughing at this silly Ford Taurus and its lack-luster racing capabilities. I was smiling for the first time in 7 years. I was in peace.
    The Rt.1 Junction was upon us, 32 miles from Willits. Stage 1 was over and Stage 2 was about to begin. I decided to drive into downtown Ft.Bragg for a bite to eat. 30 minutes later, we’re off!

We hit Rt.1 south like a bull at full speed! I thought Rt.20 was intense, Rt.1 had 200-500ft of Cliffside that lead to the ocean and my car was at the very edge. But there wasn’t any fear in my fast paced heart. It was pure thrill and excitement and the comfort of my mother’s presence once again. This time she wasn’t my navigator as she had her head turned to the right looking at the ocean like she was in the middle of her typical summer vacation in Rockport, Ma. It’s something she hasn’t seen in 7 years.
    39 miles later, we reach Point Arena. Point Arena is an outstretch of land with a small road that leads to a small lighthouse. She didn’t want me to take that road but I felt she wanted me to pull over anyway.
    As I’m standing outside looking over the horizon and the limitless waters of the Pacific, I feel a gust of wind push against me. It was like a hug and a thank you. A tear rolled down my cheek. I knew she was leaving and I bowed my head down and started to cry. As I would give her gifts for Mother’s Day every year until 1999, she felt that it was her turn to give me a gift, the gift of her presence. These tears of mine weren’t of sadness, but of joy.
    As the tears dried up, I felt another gust of wind. This wind didn’t head east towards me this time, it was heading south. It was her, pushing me to drive further south into Bodega Bay. The final stage and 50 miles later I hit Bodega and then I hit up 116 to Santa Rosa. One of the finest days of my life was coming to a close and I finally met closure with my Mother.
    In ending, I want to say all of you who lost their mothers to sickness or old age, whether you have faith in God or not, your mother is with you always. Not in physical presence but in your heart and she is always by your side guiding you. After all, half of your flesh and blood comes from your Mother.

Happy Mothers Day!
    Nathan

2. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

Wow man...whats sad is my friend lost her mother to a housefire about a month ago...she finnaly broke down about it this weekend...I didnt even know how to tell her anything...

3. nateg

nateg New Member

Just let her grieve, but keep an eye on her.

4. teo

teo . => ? => !

You don't have to. Just be there for her when she needs to talk. Most of the time you won't have to say anything - just the act of her vocalizing her thoughts will help her heal...