SRS For those with IBS (or friends/family) v.long

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Elphaba, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

So I know I've read a couple of threads on OT about people with IBS, but I dont know if it was here or in On-Topic. Mods, please move this if need be.

I have IBS and I wanted to share what happened to me Friday morning. It was really f-ing scary...

Background: I've had IBS for almost 10yrs. I get both constipation and diarehea so it pretty much sucks. In addition to the physical part, it's always been really tough for me to tell friends and SO's about this. I've just been embarassed to discuss what basically comes down to a "pooping problem". Recently I've gotten to the point that I HAVE to tell people b/c it comes down to a personal safety concern, as it did this time. My current bf knows that I have this problem, I explained all about what happends (the nausea, sweating, cramping, etc) and that its nothing contagious or anything, just lots of "pooping problems". He's cool with it, and always is supported if I need 'a little extra time'.

Anyway, Friday morning. I've been "regular" for MONTHS now, but at around 4am this Friday morning I woke up with the WORST stomach cramps I've ever had. They were so bad they woke me up out of a dead sleep, if that tells you anything. I immedately went to the bathroom and sat down, b/c I knew my IBS was flaring up. I sat there for a while, as the cramps got worse and worse, but nothing happend. I started to feel nauseous, so I called for my bf to wake up and to go get the bucket b/c I thought I might throw up (even though my IBS has never actually made me puke, I always feel like I will). Sometime while he was running from the bedroom to the spare bathroom (where we keep the bucket) and back, I started having really bad cramps. I felt my body start to sweat and sweat, then the next thing I remember being REALLY confused and asking my bf where I was and crying b/c my head hurt really really badly.

Apparently, I had passed out, smacked my head on the wall to the left of the toilet, then fallen off completely and hit my head on the floor. He found me passed out laying on the floor next to the toilet. He was freaked out, I was freaked out and in lots of pain, and I still was having an IBS flare up. We called my mom (who has IBS herself and is also a nurse) and she ordered me to the ER b/c she knew I might have a concussion. Since I knew I was still having a flare up, I told her I needed to wait till I was done. She agreed and said she'd start on her way to the ER closest to us (she lives about an hr away) and meet us there. So, I was woozy, sweaty, with 2 huge goose eggs on my head and still on the toilet. Being afraid I might pass out again, my bf sat in the bathroom with me the ENTIRE time. If you have IBS or know someone who does, you know this is no small feat. I was really amazed. He sat there and made sure I stayed where I was supposed to untill I was finished, then drove me to the ER.

By this time it was around 5:30am. At the ER they gave me lots of fluids (I was super dehydrated) and did a CT scan to make sure I was OK, which I am, besides having a super bad headache and two nice bruises on my head. I got an Rx for some super-motrin and was sent on my way.

So, for all of you out there with IBS: Be careful! Tell someone if you're having problems - I dont know what I wouldve done if my bf hadnt found me and woken me up and taken care of me. Even though its embarassing, it wouldve been worse to have to 1) explain what was going on in the moment or 2) go though this alone. For all those with friends/family with IBS: Thanks for all you guys who stick by your IBS-having friends/family. I couldnt have made it through this w/o my bf's support (and my mom's too!) and having someone who isnt grossed out and willing to help is awesome, I'msure your friends/family appreciate it.

Ok, so theres my story. Sorry its so long, but I thought someone might get something out of it. I'm up for questions if anyone has any.

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

My bf has IBS :( Lucky for him I grew up with two family members with severe cases so I have understood since day one :)

3. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

this is a great story (well, it sucks, but you know what I mean) and you have a great BF. I had a trip to the ER this week to and my roomie took me. It's really nice to know that you have people there to take care of you in your time of need (my parents live 2 hours away and have their own issues right now).

Hope you feel better and you better thank him big time!! :naughty:

4. 2500

2500 Guest

I've never heard of passing out from IBS....

I have IBS, kinda, and thats kinda worrying me, but I don't think you passed out from IBS. I think you were either straining really hard, which I know I do, even if theres nothing "moving," or, you passed out from being dehydrated. Did the Dr's say you passed out from IBS or something else?

5. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:rolleyes: You "kinda" have IBS but you are licensed enough to tell someone they couldn't have passed out from IBS? Oi vey.

6. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I have IBS in all it's flavors, including Crohn's Disease, so I'm well aware. I find Pentasa works well for me, 8 to 16 capsules a day.

Different foods affect different people with the condition, but what works for me is small salads with fruit, and I try to drink 64 ounces of fluid each day. I use a small enema container with a little soft soap on the tip for lubrication right before I feel like I have to go, this prevents the constipation and straining or pain from loose stools. It's a fantastic technique I came up with while dealing with an anal fistula. My G.I. guy said he saw no problems with doing it long term, in-fact he said in my case it was working well in helping heal the rectum and lower large colon. You can purchase the small enema bottles from your local pharmacy. They're about 4-5 inches tall and are filled with saline. I empty them and use warm water.

These work well for loose bowel movements too, since those can leave you feeling burned or raw, and the warm water flush takes all the pain away and makes things far more comfortable. Again these enemas are "small" -- just 3-4 ounces of water squeezed into the rectum before passing the stool, and then excreted.

I stopped feeling bad about these issues a long time ago. I no longer giggle about bodily functions in serious context. All I see is a machine, and it's either working correctly or it's not.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  7. BlaXicaN

BlaXicaN OT Supporter

well i wouldn't have taken it like that. i thought he made a respectable statement considering that the docs said she was super dehydrated at the ER.

anyway, i read this story yesterday and my first thought is that you have a very sincere, charming bf. i also like metallic blue's story and that leads me to ask thread starter, what foods if any do you prevent, or is there any similar technique that you have that may keep your IBS from flaring up so badly?

8. 2500

2500 Guest

:ugh2:

I said I didn't THINK they passed out from IBS. I never said they couldn't and there was no way they could ever pass out from IBS.

http://hooked-on-phonics.com/

there ya go pal.

9. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Well, technically, no, I didnt pass out "from" IBS I guess. Maybe I shoulda made that part a little more clear.

B/c of the IBS my body was pulling all my fluids to my intestine/colon to help me go, which dehydrated me, I was sweating a lot b/c of the pain and cramping, again, dehydrating me and having to strain and all made my blood pressure drop wayyy down.

Basically it was a vagal response b/c of the IBS and I passed out.

So you're both kinda right. Guess I shoulda explained it more - but I'm glad people are talkin!

10. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

I try to regulate mine more through diet - I dont think I've gotten to the point where I need to use enemas yet - though I've thought about it (especially after this happend). I try to stay away from things that are hard for me to process, such as dairy and get as much fiber as I can. Some times I feel like an old lady when I start to think "Have I had my fiber today?" :mamoru:

I know what you mean about "seeing your body as a machine" - but I also like to think that, given the right conditions, my body 'knows what to do' and I try not to mess with that if I dont have too. I've seen alot of people with IBS get 'hooked' on Colace or other laxatives (I'm not saying you are or anything though), so then they cant go at all with out them and I dont want to HAVE to take something to go if I can work with what my body does/needs naturally.

I do need to work on my hydration though, its tough to get all the water I need during the day - I pee enough times a day as it is! That said, peeing all the time is better than having this happen!

11. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Thanks to you and all that posted singing my bf's praises - yes, he really is wonderful (but doesnt every gf think so? ;)). I think he was just as scared as I was about me passing out and all but he hung in there and I cant be more thankful!

Like I said before, I avoid things that are "hard for me to process" - it can vary for everyone. For me personally, its having a lot of dairy at once (some is ok - a large milkshake is not. It also depends on the kind of dairy for me too), some fruits that tend to constipate me (bananas, cherries, etc), and really really greasy foods that tend to super-lubricate my system and, while they do sometimes end the constipation, they do so in a not-so-nice manner :)

The strange thing about this episode was that I've been doing really well on my diet lately....I cant really put my finger on what actually triggered this one. Most of the time I can say "well, yeah, I really wanted that milkshake so I shoulda known this was coming" but this time there wasnt anything, which kinda makes it more scary.

12. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I act like an old man physically, it's just the way it is sometimes. The enemas are easy and fast. We're not talking about laying on your back injecting a long tube. We're just talking a tiny enema bottle, just to be clear. It's true, I do depend on it, but I've realized long ago that I just had to surrender to techniques that worked best. I was sick of suffering, so I do it every single time I use the bathroom. I also use wipes, or a cloth and wash it rather than toilet paper. The enema's stopped the bleeding and healing everything up based on colonoscopies performed over 5 years.
    My body knows how to suffer, that's the bottom line I've learned. Even knowing that Lyme disease is the cause of my bowel disorders/disease, I have no choice but to treat the symptoms on top of the cause. If I don't have to suffer, I'll avoid it. You could use stool softners if you wanted, which aren't damaging to the body. The enema is an option, or you can do whatever works for you. These are just options. I would never recommend any unhealthy long term options like laxatives.

Water is so crucial it's not even funny. The best thing is to keep a 32 oz bottle with you. Fill it twice in a 24 hour period, carry it where ever you go, drink it, period.

13. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

A change in the immune system was "possibly" what affected it. Stress and illness, cold, flu, etc can trigger these flare-ups.

I'm not saying this was the issue, but it's often the issue for a lot of people.

14. 2500

2500 Guest

Right, thats kinda what I was thinking. It's not that you passed out from your IBS flare up, but, your IBS flare up caused you to become very dehydrated, resulting in you passing out.

I was also wondering about the straining part, because my fiance's mom is a paramedic, and she said people can pass out from straining on the toilet hard enough. I forget what she called it.

15. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Match the bolded parts....