GUN For those with an AR and 22 conv kit

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlobeGuy, Jan 15, 2010.

1. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

What kind of adjustment do you make to your sight (both IS and optics) when shooting out to 50 yards? 100 yards?

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I only really shoot 25-50 yards with the .22 kit. With irons and a red dot, I'm able to hit tennis ball sized targets without adjusting my point of aim.

3. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Like Keesh, I only shoot about 25-50 yards. Since I'm not shooting for groups I didn't notice much of a difference in POA/POI. It's been a while though since I run one of my ARs as a dedicated .22. The CMMG bolt just stays in it...

4. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Do you guys finish up your shooting session of shooting 22's by shooting few 223 down range? I read two things online, one says to shoot 223 after shooting 22 to clean out the barrel. The other says to never shoot 223 after shooting 22 w/o cleaning it first, as the lead from 22lr can foul up the barrel and chamber creating higher than safe pressure which can blow up your gun.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

In my experience, shooting .223 afterwards doesn't blow any crap out. If it did, why even bother? It's going to get blown out the next time you shoot .223 right?
    I've put a few thousand of rounds of .22LR through my AR, over 1000 at one time without cleaning. I shot a few mags of .223 afterwards and my gun did not blow up. I recently cleaned my chamber after probably close to 8k of .223 and 22LR combined. So take that for what it's worth.

6. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I've always heard that the reason for shooting .223 through it is to clean out the gas tube, but I can't comment on that since my dedicated .22 AR doesn't have a gas tube :mamoru: