GUN For those with a CCW...what is it like?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HSTexan, Mar 18, 2009.

1. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

Seeing as I'm about to go ahead and get my CHL, for those who carry, has anyone had to actually use or draw? Obviously the thought of CC draws a lot of feelings...nervousness, excitement, but most of all, humbling. For those who carry, have you ever come into a situation and actually had to draw or use your gun? What goes through your mind when you have to make that split second decision that you might end up taking someone else's life?

I'm hoping this is covered in the CHL course I am taking, as to build confidence so you don't second guess yourself.

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

AFAIK only one of us has.

A co-worker of mine had to draw on a guy last year in a parking lot just after sundown. BG caught co-worker by surprise, creeping up on his 7:00 from behind a dumpster. Co-worker actually fired 5 shots. (4 misses and a graze to the BG's arm.) All 5 shots were accounted for. BG fired 2-4 shots and ran. BG caught two days later robbing a Subway. Co-worker decided he wanted Crimson Trace after that. :o

3. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Never had to draw, hope I never do.
    As for how it feels? I had the jitters a little at first, but now it's just like any other day at any other time. I don't treat it any differently.
    I may be a little more alert to my surroundings and whatnot, but I don't personally act any different. It's not a ticket to be an asshole.

After almost 2 years of carrying damn near every single day, I almost feel naked if I don't carry. It just feels... right.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

"Damn, now I gotta kill this bitch."

Any variation on this should be your target thought process. Any of the many pistol training classes will fulfill the vital role of allowing you to program your manipulations into muscle memory and some are particularly good, but to even get a taste of how you will really respond under duress and correct any difficiencies, you need to find a facility in your area that offers force on force traing.

So he bought hardware to correct a software problem? :o :o

5. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

i've been carrying for about 6 months now, at first you feel like everyone knows you have a gun on you, and its a little odd. now i am always mindful of anyone behind me or to my right, but i dont act any differently.

since i live in an OC state i tend to just say fuck it and i wear my IWB holster but i leave the gun in open view. you get quite a few looks but so far after about 2-3 months of doing so i havent had any problems [but i only have two days a week when i have enough time to bring my gun with me...cant bring it near work.]

i came close to drawing on some drunk asshole one night, but decided 2 things.

1. too many people in too small a place
    2. he wasnt worth the legal action

so with one hand on the gun [holstered] i pushed him out of the way and my friend proceeded to get him as far away from me as possible. he and his friends ended up backing down and leaving.

6. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if I have to here soon (knock on wood), theres been 5 robberies at gun point within a block or two around my house (the worst part of my city is within a mile from my college campus and they think they can get away with robbing college kids) Ive been robbed before i got my conceal and carry, i was robbed for all my pennies in my car at the gas station, i grabbed his arm since he forced himself half way in my car and threw it into drive and decided to let go when i gased it lucky for him i didn't really care about the 40 cents he got enough to run him over..i'll have a big surprise for the guy who tries to take my monies next time

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

it feels like a lightening bolt just hit the tip of your penis

8. Slick26

:bowrofl:

Shut up :ugh:

:rofl:

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

i assume you got the movie reference

10. Slick26

Yeah I got it.

11. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

excellent

12. johnson

johnson New Member

recent post on THR

13. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

The first few months, I thought everyone in the world knew I was concealing, I was very OCD about pulling my shirt down. Now I've realized that there are dumb asses out there who can't conceal for crap, print all the time or wear retarded shit like Hawaiian shirts or photographer vests and no one notices. I've brought it up with a few close people before telling them I carry to see if they notice anything, and no one has. But those first few months I was pretty paranoid that the whole world knew.

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

he should call the police and told them he drew down on someone.

what if the guy called the cops saying there was a "mad man with a gun at X store"? its important to have your side of the story on file first, since you're the good guy. amirite?

15. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

So many things wrong with all of this.

16. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

definitely .... anytime you feel the need to protect yourself with your weapon, you should call the police as soon as you can do so safely. license plates, descriptions, etc .... let them be on the look out for that van / couple so the situation doesnt present to someone else that may not be able to defend themselves.

i think he should have called the police as soon as he knew the threat was gone.

17. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

there are a lot of problems with this as it stands .... but we dont have the whole story. more details.

right now it seems like someone wanted to get into a drunken bar fight ... he was unarmed, probably spouting some drivel about kicking your ass, and you felt the need to draw.

what i would be worried about right now is:

equal force laws.
    brandishing a weapon.
    concealing in a place that serves alcohol / carry in a place that serves alcohol (depends on your state)

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd: regardless of how legally right you were, you still did pull a gun on someone.

19. Hibidi-Shibidi

It was these two things that set off the red flags in my mind.

The guy is going to brandish a weapon and lose his CCW. I will laugh.

20. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what are equal force laws?

21. I think the idea he's talking about is that if someone is just mouthing off to you, you're not supposed to escalate the situation by doing something like pulling a gun.

22. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

If you are thinking this, during your decision making process to draw or not; you are not in a life threatening situation.

It should be more like

2. If I don't draw and kill him first, will I die?

23. Hibidi-Shibidi

:stupid:

24. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Why was the gun even invited to this party?

25. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

if someone is mouthing off, i agree, drawing a weapon is not called for.

but as for fighting a force (say, someone with a knife) with equal force is stupid. the only way to fight force and win is to use a greater force.