For Those Who Know PAR2 files......

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by who?, May 30, 2005.

1. who?

who? Guest

i just downloaded a set of .r00 to .rxx files but was missing one in between....
    so i downlaoded one of the par2 files and it magically brought my missing file back using a program called quickPAR

i was wondering if i could just download all the par2 files from now on, then have it bring back ALL the missing files, instead of downloading the whole set of .r00 to .rxx files????

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

the .par files are only the replacements for the incomplete .r## files - you need all of them

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

par2 files are used in conjunction with the available data to generate the missing or damaged chunks of data. A par2 set is typically 10-20% of the data size, and can be used to recover data loss of 10-20%. It can't be used by itself to regenerate 100% of the data.

If you suspect that data is missing or damaged, just run QuickPar over what you have. It will tell you how many blocks are required for a repair. Then just download enough par2 files to satisfy QuickPar.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You need as many PAR files that are needed to fix the number of damaged and/or missing parent files (be it RARs or even JPGs).
    If you have 100 RARs and 5 are missing and/or damaged, then you need atleast 5 PAR files.