MIL For those who have deployed before

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NisAznMonk, Apr 2, 2006.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

How is it? I'm not specifically talking about the middle east, but just anywhere outside of the USA in general. What were your experiences?

For me I don't think I would have too much of a problem with it. I leave for Lackland May 23rd and I really have no idea what to expect. I think going overseas would be awesome, but I keep running into people who absolutely hated it.

2. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Is there anything in Iceland/Greenland? I've always wanted to check those places out.

3. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

I have been to a lot of places..

Most places going TDY isn't too bad.. But change TDY to deployment and shit goes downhill fast.

As for Greenlan - Stay FAR FAR away from there.. They get more snow then North and South Dakota Combined..

Now Iceland on the other hand...It can get cold.. And you don't get a lot of support from the navy base there.. But damn the vodka is cold and the women are fine!

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

What do you get paid if I may ask? I hear people get paid good, but i have no clue on what that really means.

5. Ozner

Ozner Offical TSL OP Leghumper

From what i hear--- I don't know if its tru- but if you can live off cup of noodles or what ever free food you get and don't buy shit when your overseas you'll save tons of money and thats tax free. Correct me if i'm wrong!!!

6. pakman

pakman New Member

I spent a fair amount of money while I was deployed, and still came home with a hefy bank account. The spending begins when you get home (cars, homes, whatever).

7. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

such an informative post:bowdown:

8. KilgoreTrout19D

KilgoreTrout19D New Member

It all depends on where you go. But now a days, you have all the commodities of home, right there for you. Even if your combat arms.

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

What does TDY stand for

10. Wild Country

Wild Country New Member

It depends on what branch you're in on the experience you have over there. You said you're leaving for Lackland soon so I'm assuming you will be Air Force just like I was. The AF, honestly, doesn't really put you in harms way unless you are a pilot or something combative like that. A couple of my friends were over there and they had a blast. Its an experience that not many people can say they've had. And if you're TDY'd to the MidEast, your cash money is tax-free baby!!! Can't beat that shit.

11. emanuel

emanuel OT Supporter

do you know where they usually send security forces officers straight outta OTS?

12. LanceUppercut

LanceUppercut New Member

I'm going to Germany and then Kosovo this year. Ask me again in 2008.

13. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

Yep.. You'll normally go to your base of assignment first, stay there a few months then head to ASBC (Air and Space Basic Course), then head to Lackland for your SF/GCS training.

The only problem with that is it depends on when you get done with OTS and which course is available to you at the time.. Because you could literally be working for 6-8 months before you are properly trained....