For those who have been around here for a bit, here is the pc i ordered.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zanyspy_dude, Jul 23, 2005.

1. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

2. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Looks good to me. The only shoddy component is the case and power supply, but being rated at 400W, you'll probably live. Be mindful of case cooling as those Prescotts are hot running little bastards.

Good choice on the Intel board. Yeah yeah they won't overclock, but that aside there is no motherboard on earth better than one with Intel's name on it.

3. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I'd recommend upgrading the power supply in that case ASAP. Other than that it's pretty decent for the price.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the power supply WILL go bad... and you risk it taking another component out with it!

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's like hitting your head against the wall isn't it?

6. Poon

Poon New Member

Im not recommended if u like intel so why dont you get the P4 630 and it does support 64bit or get an AMD 3000+ 939 venice core just $146

7. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

i don't need a 64 processor is the simple answer, this is for my dad so this computer just has to work for 5 years. I seriously doubt him checking email and watching tv is gonna max out the chip :p If i were for me, i would have done AMD probally.

Fine, fine, i will listen and get a power suply too. 500W?

8. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

I'm just curious why the 915PBLL vs the 945P series boards, the 915 is on it's way out vs 945 just on its way in? I've been deploying the Intel 955 boards, really nicely done board.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

915 is NOT on it's way out. It's gonna be around for a while, and it's a GREAT chipset. If you don't require the CPU support of the 945/955 boards, the 915 is an awsome solution.

However, I would question someone's use of the 925 chipset in a new system... Why not go up to the 945/955 at that point... But the 915 bridges a very important gap, not addressed by other products. Not to mention the D915PBLL has proven itself as a great board.

10. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Actually according to the Intel roadmap it is scheduled to be phased except for the Stable platform boards which last I checked the PBL isn't. I'd agree the 915PBL is a great tried and tested board, however you can pick up a 945P series board in the same price range. It strikes me as the better bet for being future proof as compared to the 915P. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for all told, I see no reason to stick with the older technology in this issue however and would suggest the 945P over the 915P.