MIL For those that have deployed...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NisAznMonk, Jan 22, 2008.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Are you still able to use the internet to pay your bills? Or do you have to have it set up so it'll pay your recurring bills several months in advance?

2. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

it would be wise to set it up so it's auto paid..... internet is strictly based upon where you deploy to and what your actual job / living conditions are.

3. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

I had full access to the internet for the full year i was in Iraq.....as well as phones. (although that's the only extras we had at our base, unlike the restaurants, spas, pools, theaters of bigger bases) hell, i spent all my money on car parts the first time around through the internet :rofl:

My wife currently has full access to phones and internet as well (but nothing else). But it is possible that you could end up at a base without the internet, so i would set it up so your father (or someone) has access to your information and whatnot. a power of attorney is always a good thing to have.

You can also call your creditors and whatnot, and have them lower the interest rates to 6% +/-, or remove the interest altogether sometimes....A few of my bills even stopped completely when i deployed.

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lamp/downloads/SCRAguide.pdf

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Thanks for the advice. I don't have many bills, but I always want to make sure that I have a plan for everything I have just in case. The SCRA doesn't do me much good because I pay my credit cards off each month.

My job rotations are between 6 - 8 months, and I'll get my assignment sometime in in the 2nd quarter of the year. Just curious to know what people do with thier cars, living quarters, etc while they are gone. I'd rather not give anyone power of attorney if I don't have to. I don't have any familiy here to fall back on anyways.

5. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

cut everything you have with SCRA. get out of the phone contracts, get out of lease or rent for property or car, prepay a year for storage for your car and shit. figure out all the online banking options and get someone you trust secondary access.

6. ustfdes

don't use the SCRA? why?

7. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I guess that works for those stationed CONUS. Since I'm OCONUS I can't use the SCRA on my car, cellphone, or the rent. :wtc:

8. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I think he's saying use the SCRA to cut your interest rates, etc.

9. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Wow. That sucks balls.

10. ustfdes

gotcha, sorry. was a bit confused.:ugh:

11. obscurealien68

obscurealien68 New Member

depending on where you are, internet reliability can be sketchy, and you know that the more important the need is, the less reliable it will be.