For those that are pt certified:

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GilgaMesH, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

Was it hard to find a job? I really need a job while in school (and in the summer for that matter) and have been thinking of getting ISSA certification for a while now.Thing is, I'm poor as hell and 495.00 for the ISSA course is a shitload of change to me so I'm just wondering if 1) it's hard to get a job with certification and 2) is the ISSA reputable?

Edit: How much $$ did you start out making?

2. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

The best info that I have found is from elitefitness in the personal trainer forum. YOu will find answers for each of your questions.

3. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

:cool: :cool:

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

5. pt

pt New Member

It's all about who you know IMO. The certification isn't going to literally "get" you any clients.

What do you look like... that also makes a big difference.

Also... shitty gyms like Bally's usually look for a ACE cert first (shitty I know).

6. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

I have an ISSA SSC....yeah it cost me 500 bucks and it took me like 30 minutes to finish the course

If you have had college level anatomy and are relatively well read on the basics of S&C you could write the cirriculum. That being siad I started out making about 2k a month and working about 20 hrs a week. It allowed me to go to school and save a little to start another business. I now have most the equipment I need to train people but don't because I don't have time. I could have made a lot more money at it had I been willing to spew disinformation and hit up housewives...but I only trained athletes and in the long run there is far less money there than the general public.

the ISSA is not the best....but then again its not the worst. In the long run you need a CSCS to do anything worthwhile.

7. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

i don't think he's looking to be a strength & conditioning coach....

8. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Hell anything is better than ACE.

9. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

bump for me

10. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

I don't understand this stuff...are all of them individualized? Do they just give us all the books and material to study with and then we take a test? Who here has gotten a PT certification? Isn't there any classes? And where do we take the test? Keep in mind I live in Canada. I'm so confused. :wtc:

11. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

In Canada one of the more popular ones is Canfitpro. Its even easier than ACE.
    I've had personal training clients on and off since 91 and only recently got this certification just in case I did want to work for a gym. Most pt's at Bally's are certified with Canfit. Getting the certification I didn't learn anything new and disagreed with many things.

Its really all about marketing. And the certification is just a tool to add to your credentials. Your body/ looks though probably is a bigger marketing tool.

I'm considering getting the ISSA myself.

12. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Where do you live exactly? I'm looking into NSCA, which is -- apparently -- respected. However, it seems to be one of the hardest ones.

13. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Well then you should have an edge over most trainers, who are limp wristed slackjawed faggots.

Just once in a gym I'd like to see a personal trainer that could kick my ass. I havn't yet.

14. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Toronto. Where in Quebec do you live?

15. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

the good gym here in town doesn't have trainers

just a buch of 900+ pound squatters

that reminds me of that story at elitefts where jim wendler's mom got him a trainer or some shit...it was teh funnay

16. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

i wouldnt mind being a PT or even a physical therapist.

17. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Is this like the norm for people like us? I was thinking about it too -- I mean I already learned all this shit for me, why not make money off others who are too lazy to read for themselves?

18. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

It is hard to find a job if you have no written experience,they dont care about experience you have in the gym, you need 1 on 1 client experience from a previous job, if your lucky enough to find a gym that will give you your first shot, then take it. Im ISSA certified and im happy with the course, ISSA is very reputable and is accepted at all the major gyms (golds, bally, 24hr etc.) I started out at 16$ an hour and 5% commission on what i sold, so if i sold a 500 dollar session i get 5% of that, plus my 16/hr for all those sessions. Its very hard starting out, you wont have a clientel, so you will have to spend a lot of time in the gym not getting payed, but its all about being seen, when people see your training other people, they will talk to you, thats when you spit your knowledge and get them interested. I been working at this current gym for about 4 months, the first 2 months i had like 4 clients a week, now i cant even schedule everyone because i dont have anymore time, it picks up you just need patience. Hope this helps.

19. Ceaze

"For anything more serious I recommend the NSCA or ISSA." -Christian Thibaudeau

20. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Nice, thanks guys. I think I might consider NSCA. Oh, and Timber -- I live on the south shore of montreal.

21. Ceaze

You know christian thibaudeau holds seminars in montreal every weekend?

22. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Do you get paid to sit around or only when you are working with a client?

23. giblit

giblit OT Supporter

at my gym our head personal trainer gets like 20 dollars an hour when training and like 9 to just sit on his ass play basketball he doesnt lift he isnt even that knowledgible. he doesnt get that many clients because hes so expensive.

24. JustBlazin

JustBlazin Ironic Punishment

I know at Goodlife gyms in Canada, it's not necessary for you be certified by Canfitpro upon being hired; however, you must get the certification within the first year of being hired though. I'm not sure if they provide any compensation towards it or not though

25. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

Hmm thanks for the input :cool: So without prior clients, it'll be hard for me to find work at a gym? So what the hell, do I have to post flyers everywhere and get a couple of clients before I can be considered for a gym?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.