For those running SATA RAID-5 arrays, what controller are you using?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Supernaut, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

I've used a couple of XOR accelerated 3ware cards in the past, but they have been hit and miss with quality. Used a LSI Megaraid and was VERY happy with it, but I don't think I can justify the cost again. Anything else out there worth looking at? BBWC would be a plus.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

LSI MegaRAID is pretty much it in terms of RAID controllers that have dedicated SPUs and aren't outrageously-priced.

I use a NetCell RAID controller. Technically it's RAID-3, but it makes little difference for desktop use.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what's your budget? I've used Promise SX-4 cards before when cost was an issue. Otherwise LSI is good. Adaptec has been the "benchmark" for years (doesn't mean it's the best).

4. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

HighPoint makes decent stuff and you know their gonna be around forever....

their stuff is gonna be around forever...

5. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Highpoint is junk, pure and simple. No way I'm buying that crap when I can get a comparable Megaraid for the same price range. A basic Highpoint SATAx8 controller with no cache for $240? No thanks.

6. deusexaethera

3ware has a strange tendency to forego having any onboard cache, which may make the RAID more secure but slows data transfers dramatically. Adaptec is expensive as hell, and for the price, I'd rather have an LSI.

For $20 though, a 3-port NetCell SATA RAID-3 card isn't too bad. It's hardware-accelerated and has 64MiB of cache. I've been using one for about a year and a half now, and I've dropped one drive, which was rebuilt in an hour.

7. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

why do you say it's junk? Do you speak from experience? They build all their ASICs...

I 'personally' run many of their cards including the older RocketRaid 454 series which, 5 years to this day, run 24/7 without a hitch.....

and it's "junk" huh? :rolleyes:

8. deusexaethera

He just explained why. The bang:buck ratio isn't in HighPoint's favor.

It is kinda ridiculous for an 8-drive RAID card to have no cache, you have to admit.

9. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

And I have run a number of Highpoint cards with many problems. My experience says they are junk. The whole point of a RAID array for me is data integrity, and Highpoint has been the cause of data loss a number of times. Unacceptable. Enjoy your cheap shit if it works for you. Whoop-de-doo.