For those of youthat ordered new airport extremes. . .

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jackback52, Jan 26, 2007.

1. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Can't take advantage of the updates unless you've got a Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo or an iMac Core 2 Duo, right? I don't think any of the others have Pre-N installed.

Besides, I'm waiting for the real N to come out. PCworld did a huge review on Pre-N routers compared to the good G routers, in some cases the G routers had slightly less range but had must faster speeds over-all, even at far distances.

N won't be out for a while, but when it does :drool: Fast speeds all over your block. What the smart people will do is just have one person pay for the internet in a 1/4th mile range (its something like that) and then password protect it and have people just pay that one person. The bill would be like 5 bucks a person per month, which is pretty damn cheap.

3. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

I remember when apple released the orginal airport extremes with the draft G software installed. the firmware version on the extreme was 5.0. now with G standard the firmware version on my current extreme is at 5.7. Once the draft n is approved a simple firmware update is all apple will have to release.

but I do agree that you should wait if your now sure. I'm gonna get an iMac this coming september and I'm sure that the wireless cards will be n enabled

4. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Actually, to be honest I don't think its been established if weither or not pre-n will be upgradeable to N by a simple firmware update.

No one has confirmed this, because the FCC still hasn't approved N so once its all said and done there might be different hardware required etc.

I'm basing all of this off what I read in PCworld. They said don't buy pre-n or draft-n because its not that beneficial yet AND it has yet to be confirmed if the upgrade to N will JUST be a firmware update

5. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Did anyone else notice this... Engadget says they are shipping, even though the Apple website still says it's not...

Update 2 at the bottom of the page...
    [​IMG]

6. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

well they are trying to make it so that draft n wil be firmware updatable to n. the new draft they're trying to pass supports this.

7. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

But the new draft that is going to be passed isn't in the new Apple Airport bases...

8. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

but they'll be firmware updatable, which is the point i was making.