For those of you who are fix-it gurus. . .

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tiger770, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Tiger770

Tiger770 New Member

I've recently hit a problem with a client of mine. I've been to her house 11 times in 3 weeks and am working for peanuts ($25 a housecall, period---lunacy, I know).

Problem is, she keeps on screwing up her pc royally EVERY TIME I fix it. It will work for a day or two at most before she calls me again with almost the exact problem. Of course, she didn't do anything to it or even reboot it. It just magically kills itself every other day.

Now, I work 30 hours a week, go to school full time, try to work out 1-2 hours a day, and balance my social life with those around me. This chick is *KILLING ME* with all these calls. So much to the point where I want to swallow a .45 round every time my caller ID says she's calling me. I can't tell her off, because she's a close friend of someone very close to me.

So how do I go about telling this chick she's too dumb to own a PC and needs to send it back? or how would I let her "go" as a client without damaging my reputation? Those of you with your own business/after school fix-it shops, your input is very much appreciated in advance. Thanks!

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i just tell them the truth.

just dont be blunt about it.

[edit]
    i just had to do that tonight to a client. im tired of having to drive out to another city (30 mins each way) to fix a simple problem which isnt worth my time. i suggested that she talk to her family members to see if any of them know someone who is good with computers or i can suggest them someone in the local area.

she was pleased that i was honest with her.
    [/edit]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I am one of the higher-ups at a computer company in the San Diego/LA area. There have been times where we have had customers that we have told to never come back. Sometimes it just gets to the point where its not worth dealing with them, and we spend more money trying to support them, then we are actually collecting from them. We usually just tell them, in a calm way "We aren't going to support your system anymore." Usually, they get the hint, and we don't see them again. Of course we have to be careful who we say this too... I can remember a couple of times where we have said it, to the CEO of one of the companies that buys from us, and thats not a good thing. But anyway, I'm sure you get the idea.

4. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Yup I know how you feel exactly. I can think of a few people that are exactly like what you described. I just received a call last night from a lady I HATE because of how bitchy she is. If something goes wrong after I fix it, she blames it on me. I finally told her that her comp was a piece and so I built her a new one and she hasn't had many problems now.

To get rid of her, I would just raise the price on her. Just tell her you up'd your price to say $35-40 a house call. Or you could do what I do, just charge $20/hour. But if these problems take 5 minutes to fix, just tell her a house call is now ~$40. Surely she would realize that she is spending alot of money that she could be saving on :dunno:

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Tell her you can't fix it and to look in the yellow pages for someone who can. $25/housecall is sooooooooooooo far under market is not funny.

6. Tiger770

Tiger770 New Member

Yeah, I know $25 is dirt cheap. And I do work for $20 an hour, like someone said. I just tacked $5 on for gas since she doesn't live but maybe 20 miles away. Anyway, on an update, I went down there Thursday night because she called AGAIN- - - all I did was re-enter her password and she logged on fine. She had called the 24 hour tech guys from her ISP and they had her change some things- - - I guess she learned her lesson. She looked at me like I was lying when I told her all I did was re-enter the PW. Anyway, she's finished, and I don't think I'll ever answer my phone for that crazy bitch again. *whew*

Feels so good to be free....

Thanks guys- - - it's nice to know I'm not alone out there in dealing with extremely uneducated people!

7. SpectreMatrix

SpectreMatrix New Member

she prolly has the hots for you ..

8. Tiger770

Tiger770 New Member

You know, that thought had crossed my mind.... but I'm 21 and she's way over 50. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening....