for the first time in my life..

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by manontwo, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manontwo

manontwo New Member

i did deadlifts. my lower back has been in pain all day :wtc: i really need to work on my form but i started with 95 and moved up to 135 without any problems. where am i going to be sore tomorrow? besides my lower back..

2. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

ovaries

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

glutes, hammies maybe.

When I first started working out again and I did DL's for the first time in a while I couldn't put my socks on the next morning...

4. manontwo

manontwo New Member

135 was easy but i hurt my lower back in the previous sets, so really i was working on my form. i may have bad form when lowering the weights.. any tips for that?

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I don't think any adult male (assuming you are both) can't DL 135 with relative ease. It's probably your form, especially considering this was your first time ever doing DLs. use just the bar or a broom stick, stand with your side to the mirror and do some deadlifts... look at your back, make sure you're keeping your low back arched and lifting your upper back, not hunching over. Let your shoulders hang down, not your spine.

edit: yeah lowering the weight slowly is something you don't want to do for regular deadlifts... you don't have to drop it, but don't set it down too gently... for me that causes a lot of stress on the lower back and leads to pain.

6. manontwo

manontwo New Member

i have a chronically bad back, thats why.

7. manontwo

manontwo New Member

excellent tips. will sticking my ass out help arch my lower back?

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

in what way?

Lumbar (low back) pain? Scoliosis?

you may have quite a few options to improve your posture and body mechanics in ways that will alleviate your back pain...

Try using a Foam Roller if your gym has one, or buy one yourself (i reccomend buying one.. I use the gym's before I lift and I have one in my bedroom that I use when I wake up and before i sleep... it is awesome).

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I used to arch my back by sticking my ass out, but I've recently realized that wasn't the best thing for my hips... Now I arch my back by holding my abs (especially lower abs) and glutes tight, and lifting my upper back... That way I really have a much more solid lower back both in terms of deadlift form and as far as avoiding pain in my low back muscles or the spine itself.

10. manontwo

manontwo New Member

i have minor scoliosis

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

hmm.. I know a quite a few guys here have scoliosis yet some are broly as hell.

I'm not sure that's enough to make deadlift's risky to your spinal health. Ask your doctor or chiropractor if the pain persists, but I'd personally try it a couple more times and really experiment with form and watch yourself in the mirror (profile view is the best option, but use light weight since your head will be turned to the side instead of looking forward/up like it should be).

12. manontwo

manontwo New Member

haha yea, but i really like the exercise. ive seen videos on youtube already and i actually think my form is really similar except for the arched lower back. it's hard to pickup peoples form on video because clothes hides the posture.

13. poin

poin OT Supporter

buy a sub and search for deadlift vids.

other than the advice already given, keep your chin up.

14. manontwo

manontwo New Member

im not giving up, gonna hitup the gym in a couple days and try it again with all the advice!

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:bigthumb:

just remember to listen to your body... if something hurts, stop it and try again in the future. don't try and work through the pain ( i did it tonight when squatting, and now I'm icing my ankle and praying that it won't hurt tomorrow.. I have a physical job)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.