For people just getting into car audio.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Argyle, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Argyle

Argyle Guest

I thought this might be helpful for people who aren't familiar with car audio or audio in general.

I see it all the time, people always asking "Is this better than this?", "Will this be louder than this?", "Will 2 12's beat my 3 10's?" and i know this forum will prolly get alot of that so i wanna make this known for the sake of sanity.

It's all in the install. you could buy top end everything. spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on the best equipment and have a shitty sounding system because you didn't spend enough time on the install. Install is everything. I've seen SQ competitors who don't have the mega high end stuff like other SQ people have but absolutely kill everyone else in their class because they knew install is whats important. Take the extra time in making sure all the wires have strong connections and spend a few extra hours bracing your enclosure a little more. your equipment, your ears, and your friends will thank you for it.

2. Geezle

Geezle Sweetness :love:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

:bigthumb:

3. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

:) we will cover ALL of that shortly

4. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

I have spent the last 3 years of my life redoing my stereo every 3 months. The longest I had 1 setup was 3 1/2 months, the shortest was a week and a half. I've been through so many setups, I forgot my reasoning behind doing all this. Do it right once and save yourself the time and money. DO NOT GET ADDICTED TO BASS, Because no matter what you do there will always be someone louder than you. I think I pretty much succeeded in having the loudest single 12 within a 200 mile radius. I have yet to run into anything that was louder, but I have talked to some people online that claim certain stuff. But this isn't getting me anywhere but closer to deaf. sorry i got off subject.

Buying: Be careful when buying off the internet. I have bought stuff that quit working after a week and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. I would buy from a reputable online shop that offers a warranty, because it helps a ton, especially with speakers because of the risk of them blowing. Be careful buying off ebay. Stay away from older equipment because you never know if it has been abused, and simply because TECHNOLOGY CHANGES. For instance, my first setup (2 15s) was nowhere near as loud as my last setup (1 12). And they were not cheap, it was 2 JL 15W6s off a PPI A1200. But if you find a deal online you like, come to the forum and ask if anyone has bought for them and how their experience was. Get out and go to a local shop that carries an item you're interested and get a demo, if you like it, go purchase it online. Online can save you cash, but if you have it, I would go to a shop to buy because you have the convenience of being able to drive right there if something goes wrong, but I take the internet risk, and hell I work at a stereo shop.

I guess just have fun with it, car audio is a beautiful and addictive thing, and i'm scared to see where it's heading with all the technological advances.

No Cliffnotes

Have fun with it

The Bass Nazi

I realize i'm rambling, probably the pain medicine, but there has to be something useful in there.

5. true true. your stereo is only as good as your weakest connection

6. dbracerx

dbracerx louder than loudsystem

I know that felling Axilrod , I've Spent the the 4 years working on Spl cars.

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:wtf: That's not what he's talking about at all...

8. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I plan on installing a sony 5 channel amp in my 1996 ford taurus. Circuit city will do the install for $76 plus parts. Has anyone had any bad (or good) experiences with circuit city?

I'm new to car audio, and the install was the last thing I was thinking about, but now it makes sense. Currently I have replaced my "premium sound" jbl speakers with polk EX572a's (front and back) and polk audio EX3500 tweeters.

I haven't decided on a sub, going to wait a while and save up for the amp and buy/install 5 channel amp and sub all at once